• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anybody using a Lowrance GPS in the woods?

knaffie

I'm thinking about picking up a new GPS, probably a HDS-5. I'm wondering if I need the optional $300 external antenna or if the internal antenna will work okay - especially through heavy tree cover.

I looked into an HDS-5 a couple of years ago and decided it was not for me. I can't remember all the details, but seems like it was very limited as to what it could do.

I use an old Garmin 76Cxs for many years. I use to record, save to computer and upload back to the gps unit. The main problem with it is it is limited to 10,000 track points and 20 tracks.

I've been looking at the new Garmin Montana. Larger screen, more points and I think 200 tracks.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790308

Re:

knaffie said:
Phones are great until you have no data signal.....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Don't have to have data signal. I can pre-download all maps that I want to use, and actually run the phone in "airplane" mode where it turns off the data/cell service, runs GPS only.

I have the same app on my Ipad, which doesn't even have data service at all. I've only took the ipad to the woods once, didn't really need the large screen, so I just use my phone.

There is a lot of mountain property close around where I live that is covered in old logging roads and such. It's very helpful to have a GPS with detailed topo maps to find your way around..

Trimble sells full map packages for download or on an SD card... but, you can download and make your own map packages (pick what types of maps and what zoom levels you want) for free from the online maps. Of course this requires a bit of planning and pre-downloading.

Hell, you can do the same thing with Google maps. I did that the last 2 times I wend to Mexico (since I don't have international service) I download the map of the area I'll be in and carry on.

:dblthumb:

Nick, I downloaded the freebie app, looked up Harlan. While it is a great topo map, it has no marked trails on it. Is there any way to get someone elses trip points on there?

5BrothersFabrication said:
Nick, I downloaded the freebie app, looked up Harlan. While it is a great topo map, it has no marked trails on it. Is there any way to get someone elses trip points on there?

Yeah I'm sure you can download someone elses trip/points of interest, never done it before though.

I bet you can see most of the trails/obstacles in Harlan on satellite photography map.

, I just use it to do my own thing (wander around "lost" but still knowing how to get back), till I get a track and points of interest throughout a place.

Re:

knaffie said:
Phones are great until you have no data signal.....

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of gps apps on my iphone. They are OK, but are very limited compared to a real trail gps.

I have tracks for about 80% of the Harlan jeep trails if anyone wants them. (.gpx file)

Re:

98TJ said:
I have a couple of gps apps on my iphone. They are OK, but are very limited compared to a real trail gps.

I have tracks for about 80% of the Harlan jeep trails if anyone wants them. (.gpx file)

Yes, please send it to me. [email protected], thanks. What program on the phone are you using?

I have to get something like this. I get so dam lost everytime I ride. Frustrating. Be nice to know exactly where I am at all times. Everytime I go to Morris I'm that guy when the sun goes down haulin ass lost as **** in the woods tryin to find my way out with a terrible sense of direction.

Re:

There was an open Google maps that folks would update trails throughout the country. I've been wanting store trail maps cause I to get lost.... We could compile gpx files of the SE :dblthumb:

Latest posts