• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone Fly 3D Heli's

Jaydog

I've gotten into helicopters and recently made the jump to 3D's, and it may have been too big of a jump, anyhow I was wondering if anyone on the board flew them too.

I have an E-Razor 450

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxAfNZZt1Ac[/YT]

Yes, trex 450, 500, 600, 700[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb20EzZkHyc[/YT]

heres my 600

This is the one I have. I got it from radio shack a few weeks ago $39.99 I works pretty good. After some practice I can control this thing pretty good.

IMG_20111215_194534.jpg

I've flown a few of the Blade series coax helis (mCX, CX, CX2, etc) and the Blade mCP. The Blade mCP is one of the most fun helis I have flown, its collective pitch like the "big boys", but you can crash and it doesn't cost anything typically because its a micro heli. I bounced that thing off sheds, the house, outdoor tables and chairs, etc and only had to put a new tail boom on it once. That's it. It was great for "getting the feel" of the CP setup coming from coaxial (IE - Throttle stick down makes you GO down, not just slow the rotor head, haha). I had to get used to flying mid stick and not just "up is up, down is down". I slammed that sucker into the ground a couple times because my instinct when it got away from me was to throttle down. I finally got used to killing the rotor with the switch before I could actually fly it.

I have a Blade 400 3D also, but I need a new speed controller for it right now. I'm still learning all the head and rotor setup and such coming from the micro collective pitch and the coaxial stuff since thats all "assemble and go". I got the 400 used (free) from a guy who bought it, crashed it, couldn't fix it.

I fixed it up and tried flying it and it's just been one thing after the other learning about it. Settings in the radio were completely wrong (swash plate mixing was a big one), the gyro wasnt working right, etc. I didn't know about all those things until after I had tried flying it a few times, crashing and replacing parts along the way (just rebuilding servos and replacing blades occasionally because I have training gear on it). Nothing in the manuals talks about these settings, just which control is which, etc.

I originally just thought I was a lot worse at flying than I thought I was after sucessfully flying the mCP collective pitch micro heli, but then YouTube finally educated me on how the gyro was SUPPOSED to be working, and I found some factory out of the box radio settings. I took it out after fixing all the issues and I'll be damned if I didn't hover that damn thing finally (very easily I might add), but the battery was pretty dead. I charged up the batteries at work, came home to actually FLY it for the first time, and the damn speed control was dead when I plugged in the battery. I'm guessing I killed it hovering it with the batt drained so low. It's been sitting ever since because of the weather and getting too dark too fast. SO close to actually flying it finally, its kind of frustrating, haha.

The main reason I have so many Blade helis is because they're cheap fun, and my girlfriends Dad carries them in his store. I'd like to get into it more this summer though, it's pretty fun!

~T.J.

PS - Roccrawler, thats funny that's you! I watched that fly it like you stole it video back when I was trying to learn about these things. Nice flying!

Last edited:
This is the one I have. I got it from radio shack a few weeks ago $39.99 I works pretty good. After some practice I can control this thing pretty good.

The micros are what got me started on the 450, I have four of them, the syma S107 is my favorite micro. :awesomework:

Wife is kinda homebound nowadays with lots of time in a chair so I got her a E-flite blade mcx for Christmas after seeing these posts. She likes it but we need a couple more batteries. She picked it up pretty quick, no pro but can take off, hover, maneuver around the room and land it safely most of the time. I just need to get her a fishing pole now to bring it back to her when I'm not home and she crashes it away from where she sits. It is pretty fun to fly. Oh and those videos are crazy Roccrawler.