• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Belt sanders

CrustyJeep

Anybody use a hand held belt sander for metal fab work? Thinking about investing in one...

I don't have room for a stationary belt sander, so the handheld might be a usable alternative, plus I could use it like a hand held grinder...........

Any reason not to use one on steel?

CrustyJeep said:
Oops, I had the 3" variety in mind...
You woulldn't use it much other than to putting a grained finish on small parts.

What were you thinking on using it for?? A 5" grinder with the right grit will put down a nice finish.

Yep, for a flat grained finish, and should be a lot easier to get edges straighter.

Also for cleaning up my welding table.

I'm worried about the metal grit destroying the thing inside of a week, since I think they're made for wood.

CrustyJeep said:
Yep, for a flat grained finish, and should be a lot easier to get edges straighter.

Also for cleaning up my welding table.

I'm worried about the metal grit destroying the thing inside of a week, since I think they're made for wood.
If you want something for doing straight edges, get your self a 12" flat wheel sander. For cleaning off you table, just clean it once and paint is lightly with primmer, keeps the dingle berries from sticking.

When I clean my weld table I just take a 7" grinder with a fairly new wheel and put it flat to the table and wallla clean table. Before I weld where i know berries will be on the table i usually spray it down with some nozzle dip.
Personally I like the use of flap wheels moreso than a belt sander and if im worried about detailing I use a small 90* die grinder with some 3m sanding pads.

blownblue said:
When I clean my weld table I just take a 7" grinder with a fairly new wheel and put it flat to the table and wallla clean table.

Well at work I do the same thing but with a 9" "china hat" style grinding wheel.