• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bending tube and ?

Dubshot

I have heard of soldering, welding, and brassing and was
Curious which is best on 3/16th and 1/4 inch stuff?? If welding with a witefeed how should I go about it? Basically what wire thickness and should I use oxy? I don't on my normal welding and get it done..

depends on which material you use. 3/16 solid is easy with a mig and 030 with gas(not oxy) just turned down a bit. that is also the cheapest material. 3/16 brake line (its galv so use a respirator or drink milk after) is harder to mig weld. I braze all mine with oxy acet. and a small welding tip. mig is easiest for holding the parts together while welding, with brazing you have to support it with clamps, magnets, etc... and gets frustrating sometimes. you can also use mapp gas (plumbing isle, yellow bottle and specialized tip) for the tubing but not the solid so much. takes a long time to heat up. some guys even make scale cages and bumpers with brass and just solder it together. that is the most expensive tubing material though. what are you making? scale or tuber?

I am making both but want to make
My own bumpers and Exo for my scaler. I have a Lincoln 135 or 140 I don't remember which I have.. Using brake lines and I got them from southside brake and clutch in Tacoma.. They do not have the coating on them..

I use 3/16 solid stock and my Lincoln 140HD Mig w/ .025 wire. I like it cause I can crank the heat up and get a nice joint without alot of material in the weld. :awesomework: Makes cleanup almost unnecessary.

I use 3/16 brakeline mostly and tack it together with a little 110 miller with cored .023 wire. Then when its all together i go back with mapp gas torch and safety silver solder. Best tip I can give you is good fitting joints, clean steel, and load on the flux before brazing.

Also be creative and make your joints stronger by drilling 3/16 holes in 1/4 inch tube then inserting it rather than making a t joint :) Plus its easier to slide it together instead of holding it in place to tack it. And you dont have to use a round file or a dremel to fish mouth the ends. :)
2011-09-30_17-53-05_160.jpg

2011-09-30_17-53-29_344.jpg

silver solder works great... i use it ... it is just spendy last time i bought some it cost $45 a troy oz.... i also use a smith mini torch, which is just awesome... i also found that using 3/16 hydraulic line is way easier to work with...( no coating and no galv.). i have never used my mig welder.

depends on which material you use. 3/16 solid is easy with a mig and 030 with gas(not oxy) just turned down a bit. that is also the cheapest material. 3/16 brake line (its galv so use a respirator or drink milk after) is harder to mig weld. I braze all mine with oxy acet. and a small welding tip. mig is easiest for holding the parts together while welding, with brazing you have to support it with clamps, magnets, etc... and gets frustrating sometimes. you can also use mapp gas (plumbing isle, yellow bottle and specialized tip) for the tubing but not the solid so much. takes a long time to heat up. some guys even make scale cages and bumpers with brass and just solder it together. that is the most expensive tubing material though. what are you making? scale or tuber?

What does drinking milk accomplish after welding galvanized?