• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Broken AFP arp stud. Now what?

skipnrocks

So one of my arp studs broke off in the knuckle. I drilled into it a And ran an easy out into it and sure enough it broke off too. So now I can't drill it bigger because the hardened easy out is stuck. I thought of welding a nut onto it hoping the heat would help but since it broke an 18th of an inch into the knuckle I'm worried the weld will just stick to the knuckle and not let the stud come out

What ideas do you guys have.

Re:

Weld it. The edge of the hike in the knuckle shouldn't be an issue .
Or die grind the edge of the hike a tad.
Been there done that

Tig welding works best for this due to the amount of control. I've removed hundreds of broken bolts with a tig welder. Not once have I had problems with the part itself being welded to.

Just dealt with a similar situation. I had enough room to hit it with a plasma and gouge it out. Than put a bolt in the hole and welded around the shaft of the bolt.

I wish I had a tig welder for it. Maybe I'll cut a nut in half so it's not so hard to get a good weld to the broken stud. I wish it had broken off a half inch above. Those are easy. It's odd this one is broken with the other three pretty tight. Wonder what caused it. Wonder if gm knuckles will hold a mig weld then I can put a fifth bolt hole on these.

Re: Broken AFP arp stud. Now what?

I keep an assortment of thin jam nuts just for broken bolt extracting, makes getting a good hot weld easier with a mig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make very hot tacks on the center of the broken stud until you build up an nice nipple then place a nut over that nipple and burn it in hot then let cool for a sec and hit it with impact

jccarter1 said:
Make very hot tacks on the center of the broken stud until you build up an nice nipple then place a nut over that nipple and burn it in hot then let cool for a sec and hit it with impact
. That's a good idea. I like it. I'll report back tomorrow on the outcome

I have removed hundreds of broken studs/bolts that way you get good at it and you would be surprised how deep you get one out of

If you don't have jam nut, I've put a regular nut in some vice grips and ground it down with a bench grinder. Or vise it and use a grindr to get it thin enough. Just to keep in mind for next time :dblthumb:

Harris makes a special welding rod called Super Missile that we have used for stud extraction when broke off below the surface. You just use an oversized nut and this rod is designed to weld dissimilar metals so you can get good penetration into the stud and build the weld straight up and tie it into the nut. pricey rods but they work great.

Re: Broken AFP arp stud. Now what?

Oxy fuel torch with a tiny tip. With the right shade you will see how it will gouge the bolt easier than surrounding metal. Also should take some of the temper out of the ez out.

Did this to get broken bolt out of 60 housing. Little by little and a small pic and screw driver to get pieces out

I have really good luck buy welding a washer to the broken stud then weld a nut to the washer. I usully use 6011's cuz bolts never brake in the shop were my mig is im all ways stuck using the welder in the bed of my truck. Let it cool wack down on it with a hammer to help brake it loose and it will come out