• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bypass coilovers

Mooretoyx4

Starting a new build and looking at shock options. I had trailing arms with a single 2.0 res Coilover on my last rig and am looking at the king ibp 2.5's for the new rig. It says they have internal bump stops which might be ok for the front but I wonder if they would be good enough for a trailing arm application or is an air bump good insurance? I'm not racing so full on bypasses aren't really necessary but we still like to get rowdy. Anyone have experience with these?

someone may disagree with me - but anytime you have a shock mounted on a trailing arm, youre right - the proper way to do it means you'll need a bumpstop on the axle. It doesn't need to be an air bump necessarily, you can use a mechanical bumpstop since the IBP will handle a good bit of the work...but you need something.

Otherwise there is a TON of leverage being applied to your shocks, link bolts, heims, link arms, etc etc every time you bottom out. Thats a lot of $ in shock to just beat the **** out of it by not having a bumpstop.

100% need a mechanical bump stop of some sort, IMO. I would not rely on the shock to be a bump stop. It will in all likelihood damage the shock over time. Cheap insurance is some sort of rubber bump stop or fancy pants air bumps.