• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Can I do a tranny?

money_pit_yj

2008 Silverado 1500 5.3 4L60E that was replaced last year. Going out again. Transmission is warrantied but labor is not yet. Worst case, can I not get the transmission and bolt it in myself?

I pretend I am a complete idiot when it comes to mechanical stuff, when in reality I am fine working on things when I make the time. Is this just removing bolts and plugs and bolting the new one up or is there more to it? I have access to a lift and transmission jacks and a couple of guys who are more mechanically inclined than I am. What am I looking at here? Do I get to do a tranny? Or do I just cough up the money and have a "pro" do it?

Bolting in an auto trans is simple, just dont' drop it on your head!

If you have access to a lift and such, it's really no big deal at all.

That said, the LABOR part of pulling and reinstalling a truck trans in a drive-in-drive-out trans rebuild is maybe $150-200 at most.

Just make sure the torque converter seats onto the pump before installing it back into the truck.

Make sure ya clean out cooler lines, brake cleaner and compressed air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem like a nice guy Dan so I'm going to skip the jokes related to the thread title. ;D
But yeah, there's really not much more than like you said, pull some bolts, wires and hoses and do the old swaperoo. I don't know about that exact setup but be prepared to get creative trying to reach some of the bolts. A bunch of extensions plus a swivel can usually get the job done. Though I'm sure tons of people get half way into a tranny and realize that maybe it was a mistake. But they just keep on hammering away at it to see if they indeed do like it. And like 01tj said, you gotta have your lube slinger crammed all of the way into the tranny, otherwise you will end up with a real shitshow.

Where did the trans come from? If it's out in a year again, something ain't right with it or you are doing things to it you shouldn't lol

whiskeymakin said:
Where did the trans come from? If it's out in a year again, something ain't right with it or you are doing things to it you shouldn't lol
Knowing the limitations and backround of your tranny are very good details to know going in to the stabbing of said tranny.

But yeah those are actually pretty easy. The 2 bolts in the very top are the hardest part and they aren't terrible

Piper actually does trannys on a regular basis. He can help you out.

On a side note, my iPhone autocorrects trannys to granny's. Which is also applicable to piper.

ibrokeit said:
Piper actually does trannys on a regular basis. He can help you out.

On a side note, my iPhone autocorrects trannys to granny's. Which is also applicable to piper.

If you can find an African American tranny granny .... those are the good ones

whiskeymakin said:

Its a new GM transmission.

rednecklights said:
If you can find an African American tranny granny .... those are the good ones

I found a 4L60 out of a 1998 Black Silverado :dunno:

rednecklights said:
You should probably pray for these urges flashemifyougotem

:dblthumb:

All the points these guys noted are great. I just did mine in the driveway by myself, unbolt the transfer case off the back 1st and you can handle it with a floor jack. Sucks, but doable. Same truck, same transmission.

My family has had a transmission shop for 25 years and my advice is to take it somewhere to get the cooler flushed. If you had a lot of clutch material in it before it is going to run it all back into your new filter and possibly starve it for fluid. I say this because we run into it a lot, if you decide to not flush it at least do a filter and fluid change after 3-5000 miles.

As for doing it yourself, it's a pretty easy job. You won't need special tools but I suggest having a 13mm wobble socket and a 15mm long wobble, the bellhousing bolts have a stud on them and without a wobble the top ones will be a pain to get out.

If the trans you are pulling out was a reman unit from GM it has a 3 year 36k warranty, are you positive it doesn't cover labor? I thought they did. :dunno:

We did a rear main seal plate on a friends 2wd avalanche Saturday. Biggest pain is the exhaust nuts but shouldn't be bad if they were off recently. That one bolt behind the plug on the range switch can be removed with a 13 open end wrench since the plugs never want to come out without fawking up.

grcthird said:
If the trans you are pulling out was a reman unit from GM it has a 3 year 36k warranty, are you positive it doesn't cover labor? I thought they did. :dunno:

We did a rear main seal plate on a friends 2wd avalanche Saturday. Biggest pain is the exhaust nuts but shouldn't be bad if they were off recently. That one bolt behind the plug on the range switch can be removed with a 13 open end wrench since the plugs never want to come out without fawking up.

GM Doesn't consider my old employers shop a "real shop" :dunno: We bought the transmission form the Carquest where we buy 99% of our parts and he bought it from the GM supplier where he buys 99% of his GM parts but for some reason they are giving me a hard time about the shop that did the install. Apparently 10 Bays, alignment machine, diagnostic station, transmission flush, brake rotor lathe, two tire trucks, and a 3500 squarefoot showroom filled with aftermarket parts, batteries and tires, doesnt make you a professional shop :dunno: It will all work out, it is just frustrating.