• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Car/Truck Camping spots

nick c

Lewis & Clark bitches!
The wife and I are planning to do a little camping for the 4th since I found out I have a couple extra days off around the holiday. We aren't into backpacking, mostly car camping.

I normally camp out at Salmon La Sac on the river but thought we'd look around and try some new spots this summer.

If anyone has ever been up to Salmon La Sac this is what I'm looking for. I need something I can access with my truck, 3/4 Ton Silverado. And preferablly on a river or lake (or within a short walk) since we like to hang out by the water and relax.

I'm mostly looking for non-official campgrounds (no state-parks, etc) since we usually end up getting yelled at by the Ranger for being to loud after 9 pm. We usually camp with 1 - 2 other couples and play cards/games and drink after dinner.

So where's your hide out, pictures and GPS coords/directions would be helpful.

If we don't find anything we'll probably just head up to Salmon La Sac for the 4th and do some exploring in mid-july for other areas.

:corn:

One of my favorite places used to be an area of dispersed sites right off Mountain Loop Highway near Coal Creek. I haven't been there in several years though. As long as the weather is decent, it's a great place.

Northing: 396909'
Easting: 1467770'

I don't have lat/long. I use state plane feet.

Aerial photo attached. The yellow line is the access road. There is one site along Coal Creek, and a bunch more along the old road grade above the river bank. The group site across the creek is by reservation only. Here's a link with more info and directions. I'm not sure how bad the access has gotten over the years, but I'm sure you're fine. I once got my father-in-law's brand new pop-up tent trailer in there, but I had to buy him a new rear bumper :redneck:. The river is pretty shallow along this stretch, but there are deeper pools within walking distance. It probably fills up if the weather is good, so you'd want to be there early.

<edit> I randomly had the chance to drive out there today on my way back from Darrington. The old access road shown by the yellow line has been blocked off at the edge of the road. There is a little bit of room to park alongside the road and walk your stuff in. Realistically, this probably makes the camping MUCH better, but you have to leave your car on the side of the road to do it. There are also probably 100 other dispersed sites along the river between there and Darrington. Most of them are really close to the road, but there isn't nearly as much traffic once you get past the Ice Caves trailhead. There are a ton more sites along the intersecting FS roads that would probably be more private, but they're away from the river.

Last edited:
Forest service road 52 between Ashford & Packwood, tons of places off the side of the road to camp next to the river. Never actually camped there but on memorial day weekend there was tons of people up there camping :awesomework:

Head over White Pass and camp at rimrock Lake. Many places to camp along the Lake, Tieton River, Lost lake, etc......

Many places to camp, it just depends on what you perfer. Lots of camping along the road heading up tto Tieton Meadows also.

We are heading up there in the AM to camp for fathers day weekend. lots of fishing, wheeling and motorcycle riding to be had for us :awesomework:

If you like the river at Salmon La Sac. Are you talking above Salmon La Sac. Head up that way there is a lot of dispersed up that way. Some really cool spots along the river up there. Or you can head up the Fortune Creek Drainage also above Salmon La Sac. A 4x4 truck would have no problem and you can find a couple good dispersed sites along the creek.

We've done the rimrock lake thing. Camped at the west right between rimrock and clear lake. Clear lake state park I think it was called? Was pretty much non patrolled, no camp host etc etc. From there we day tripped over to yakima and rafted the yakima river and hit up some of the wine tours then back to camp to drink and be loud with water nearby. All accessible by 2wd rigs.

Liberty, WA was another place we would camp on the creek, then spend all day wheeling. Again not exactly a patrolled campground, so you could be loud all night. This was many years ago, havnt been up there in a long time.

My 4th of July will probably be spend in a jet boat on the water, just havnt picked which water yet. Tapps, or moses lake.

If you like the river at Salmon La Sac. Are you talking above Salmon La Sac. Head up that way there is a lot of dispersed up that way. Some really cool spots along the river up there. Or you can head up the Fortune Creek Drainage also above Salmon La Sac. A 4x4 truck would have no problem and you can find a couple good dispersed sites along the creek.

When I camp at Salmon La Sac we follow the main road in along the river, the road turns to gravel and it Y's. To the left is a campground I think its a state one, or if you go to the right up the hill you can follow the FS road back a good 10 miles and find good camping on the river, thats where I typically go. Think that must be the same area you are talking about.

Ill have to look into the Fortune Creek area.

There is a bunch of camping near taidenepalm camp ground on riffe lake in the morton/randle area. That lake is beautiful in the summer & theres a nice fishing bridge & waterfall right in that area.

Head over White Pass and camp at rimrock Lake. Many places to camp along the Lake, Tieton River, Lost lake, etc......

Many places to camp, it just depends on what you perfer. Lots of camping along the road heading up tto Tieton Meadows also.

We are heading up there in the AM to camp for fathers day weekend. lots of fishing, wheeling and motorcycle riding to be had for us :awesomework:

Damnit and I thought not too many people knew about those spots up there. I miss the turn on a regular basis still.

there are a hand full of good spots up the mountain from salmon la sac... if you drive towards salmon la sac when you hit the ranger station on the right , right before you go over the river hang a right and go up the gravel road about five miles.. once you pass all the cabins there are some cool little spots up there on the river... and if you can not find anything up there you can always just head back down to salmon la sac..

there are a hand full of good spots up the mountain from salmon la sac... if you drive towards salmon la sac when you hit the ranger station on the right , right before you go over the river hang a right and go up the gravel road about five miles.. once you pass all the cabins there are some cool little spots up there on the river... and if you can not find anything up there you can always just head back down to salmon la sac..

Thats right where I camp typically.

try to find a spot on the beach towards the north end of lake cle elum. theres not many, and they will get taken quickly, but they are not in a ghey paved camp park.
look for fireworks across the lake right at dusk. (9-ish):beer: