• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cheap carrier bearing

Jduck

Decided to try and build a cheap carrier bearing set up for my current Jeep. Did some searching and found an old thread on pirate about using a Dana 60 pinion so decided to give it a try. Had a buddy cut the gear off and machine the shaft/inner bearing surface to fit a 1.5 id driveshaft tube. The outer bearing surface was already 1.25 so I found a two pack of these 4 bolt flange style carrier bearings on amazon for $20. Made a bracket with a couple leaf spring bushings and it was done.

95F9DE95-E395-40DB-B6BE-18BD8760D545.jpeg
3F0A3DD4-ABBE-4E7A-9975-3F5EFAF0C534.jpeg
028C491C-9D9E-4D4A-B06D-CD3EBEE623F9.jpeg

Broady is correct. I've used 60 and 14 bolt pinions. IMO this is a great set up. I'm sure there are better ways to do it. But this is great. I've done them with slip in the mid shaft and hard mounted. I usually use the two bolt pillow block bc it's a little more compact.

Broady is correct. I've used 60 and 14 bolt pinions. IMO this is a great set up. I'm sure there are better ways to do it. But this is great. I've done them with slip in the mid shaft and hard mounted. I usually use the two bolt pillow block bc it's a little more compact.
Ive heard of the ears breaking on the 2 bolt style so I figured I'd try this 4 bolt style to spread the load out.

Ive heard of the ears breaking on the 2 bolt style so I figured I'd try this 4 bolt style to spread the load out.
Only way I see ears breaking is from solid mount and no mid shaft slip or no bushing mount for flex.

You seen something different,?

Great idea! Thanks for sharing this. This is the cool build it kinda tech that make us want to keep coming back here.

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing. Are you going to do anything special when you weld it since its a harder gear material?

Looking good Jduck. Mount is sweet.
1999 up Superdutys use a 2 pc rear driveshaft. Carrier bearing and 1410 joints. I use one in my Jeep uncut.
Non greaseable carrier bearing only lasts about 3 years, due to debris and pressure washing.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 321
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 302
Great Idea! Thanks for sharing. Are you going to do anything special when you weld it since its a harder gear material?

I didn't do anything different than normal when I welded it up. It's been on two trips, the second trip I twisted the .120 wall shaft between the bearing and axle.

Mine is similar, but I bought the machined down 14 bolt pinion from Jimmy Penner. It mounts through an f250 carrier bearing. I've been running it for a couple years now. So far so good.