• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cobra WXST Install in Lower Double DIN location (TACOMA)

codyjh

Boone NC, soon to be Seattle/Everett Washington
For those wanting to do an install on a TOYOTA with the DOUBLE DIN allowance.....

Vehicle:
99 Toyota Tacoma with DIN Stereo and DIN pocket underneath.
CB: Cobra WXST w/ NOAA weather radio

Problem:
Was tired of having the large cb located on the dash and also sick of the constant shifting of the CB while wheeling.

Solution:
To solve this issue, i purchased an additional radio (COBRA WXST with front speaker and NOAA) to fill the remaining gap of the Double din allowance in my Tacoma. This cb fits perfectly into the allowance in Tacomas.

18wxst.jpg

after the install
DSC02022.jpg

DSC02015.jpg

DSC02014.jpg

DSC02011.jpg

Damn that looks good! I almost put Ashleys CB there in her 4Runner (below the radio). But, with the speaker on the side not the front, I was worried about not hearing it well even though the speaker would face out the open bottom of the center console. Not only that, the CB wasnt as wide as the opening so I would have had to modify the stock block off panel, and I was feeling lazy.

Anyway, very nice job!

~T.J.

EDIT: Does that Mag Lite get in the way at all? I was thinking about mounting mine there as well, but wasn't sure if I would kick it while getting in and out or driving or anything.

I may have to find a pc122, to put in there, (it has sideband capabilities and can be cranked up like the big radio's) but right now I have a Uniden GrantXL, (same as the Cobra 148GTL) mounted on/under the glove box and it drives the wife nuts when she gets in the truck.. maybe I'll tell here if she buys me another radio, I'll move the monster to the shop (have HAM radio station, so another radio wouldn't hurt!!! :D

Dude that is nice!

I have been looking for something that will fit into the stereo slot. Thanks for sharing.

Rock-N-Ruin said:
I may have to find a pc122, to put in there, (it has sideband capabilities and can be cranked up like the big radio's)

Been discontinued, gonna have to find used...

I just got me one of them Cobra WXST in the mail today. I like it. It will go into my 80 Toyota in the radio area. That thing has a hell of a big mic.:D