• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

grinders

85b2man

so i just had my 4" inch makita grider go belly up on me. whats are the good brands out there its been a while since i have had to buy one?

For the DeWalt, check with your local Lowes. A few weeks ago we had some two packs for a contractors' event. It was only $10 for two than the normal price for one and included a pair of gloves and a diamond blade.

If I was a shop owner or still worked as a welder I would get a Metabo but for my garage I just get the cheap black and Decker 2 of them... they have a life time warranty and since I have 2 of them I just send one back when it dies then grab the other one and keep rotating.

Got the higher amperage model Dewalt 4.5" and it has been good to me. If you want a backup grab a couple of the $9.99 Harbor Freight grinders and beat the **** outta them. If they break oh well

i exclusively use the POS harbor frieght disposable grinders. i buy three at a time and keep different wheels on em so i dont have to change back and forth from flap wheels to grinder or cut off discs.

been thru a bunch of the high end ones and yes they make less noise and run smoother but dont last any longer for the extra money...

so i just had my 4" inch makita grider go belly up on me. whats are the good brands out there its been a while since i have had to buy one?

If it's been awhile, why don't you go with another Makita....I've had my 4" Makita for goin on 8 years now; granted it doesn't get used everyday, but it gets used plenty!!! I've got a 4.5" for the heavier stuff....it also gets used---this one's a craftsman pro....

yeah i use my makita alot and i have an 8 inch craftsman but its so big and bulky and really kicks lol so it sounds like another crafsman or dewalt

yeah i use my makita alot and i have an 8 inch craftsman but its so big and bulky and really kicks lol so it sounds like another crafsman or dewalt

My craftsman puked all the assembly oil, thats suppose to keep the bearings from wearing out, out of it and froze up on me:puke:

i exclusively use the POS harbor frieght disposable grinders. i buy three at a time and keep different wheels on em so i dont have to change back and forth from flap wheels to grinder or cut off discs.

been thru a bunch of the high end ones and yes they make less noise and run smoother but dont last any longer for the extra money...

I work at Lowes in the Tool Dept. and IMO the 80$ dewalts are not worth the money. It's all about the Harbor freight 12$ models. But just in case i did pick up a 7" Hitachi AG for 14.95$ Corporate sent the wrong price (used to be 149.50) so i said yoink... and i got 10% off ontop of that. :fawkdancesmiley:

Milwaukee. Mine has a 5 year? warranty and is about 4 years old and has been dropped, wet, abused and punished every way possible. I have tried craftsman, makita, dewalt, an HF before that and they do not compare. I admit the other brands were in the $40 bracket and the Milwaukee was around $100 though.

Precisely. My original HF has been going strong through 6 years of abuse. It was about a week old when the bearings started to sound like they had sand in them, but it just keeps on kicking. Once in a while when they're half price and I get a coupon in the mail, I pick up another one just in case, but I still haven't killed one. It is nice to have a grinding wheel, cutoff wheel, and wire wheel all ready to go - and all of it for under $50.

When the harbor freights usually go out, it is the ringnpinion/gears
The grease that they use inside of them is a wax base and when it gets hot it spins and melts to the side. then the gears strip. Happend to me 3 times last summer in about 1 month. I ended up taking out all the grease and putting in new grease. Guaranteed it will last 3xs longer :awesomework:

Fix youre Makita?

I just ripped the worm gears out of mine and got the replacement gears for $3.98 each and $8.00 shipping.Got them in 3 days:awesomework:much cheaper than a new grinder.Im assuming the magic smoke didnt come out of it.

When Im working with 6" skinny wheels"wheels of death" I can burn up one of those h.f. units in about 20-30 minutes.They may hold up better to the lil 4" wheels but those are for girls:redneck: