• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Has the jeep market declined over the past few years?

Vinson Clark

Seems like a lot less rigs are being sold these days and the ones that are seem to stay on the market forever.

I was big into wheeling back in 2012 and seemed like there was ALOT of buying, selling and trading going on then. Been thinking about getting back into the sport just curious what everyone else's opinion is.

Re:

Patience and getting buddies to be on the lookout is key. More and more eyes looking for deals every year. Got to be quick.

Yeah it seems like everyone thinks their rig is worth 'stupid money' when they sell but yours ain't worth chit when they buy....

The last couple of years it seems the prices went bananas. I see YJs on junkyard axles, No Atlas, stock engine, and shoddy finishwork selling for 15k and Im like Lol...then it sells and I'm like WTF :****: Things seem to have slowed, but after the new year, it will likely take off again (tha'ts what seemed to happen last year)
There seems to be a (sizable) price point so avoid hack rigs. Its amazing when you really start looking at rigs everywhere, how many you see that have questionable welds, fabrication and overall design that immediately throw a red flag. If you are particular, it can get spendy...

I have noticed that there is a significant jump in price if you just throw an LS motor in it. There is nothing wrong with a good, reliable TBI engine, but it seems everyone has to have an LS motor...and that alone will bump the price up thousands. Guys who can build there own rig know that you can do an LS swap fairly cheap, but it seems to be the equivalent to a kitchen remodel. people who see that, close on the sale because cool kids have it,

Something else I have noticed there is much less high end parts in the classified the last couple of years...You used to be able to look in the classifieds here and on pirate and it would be full of high end tires, wheels, Atlas's, rigs...now, not so much. Some of this can be attributed to FB classifieds.

There are still deals to be had, but I think a lot of people are in buggies these days. 37's on a TJ used to be legit. Now, if you don't have 40's you ain't doing anything. Then when you have 40's, you have so much money in the jeep that you don't want to run trails that require 40's.

From what I have been looking at it seems that nice and well built buggies are stupid exepensive but if you don't consider them you have to look at overpriced junk. The nice rigs that are expensive are well built and have a good parts list. The junk has a crap parts list and crappy fab work. There is no in between anymore. If you keep you eyes peeled and have a budget of 20k I think you can get into a very well built jeep. 10k and you can get in to a very nice toyota truggy. It does seem as though if you don't have a LS motor people are shying away from them.

stepup said:
From what I have been looking at it seems that nice and well built buggies are stupid exepensive but if you don't consider them you have to look at overpriced junk. The nice rigs that are expensive are well built and have a good parts list. The junk has a crap parts list and crappy fab work. There is no in between anymore. If you keep you eyes peeled and have a budget of 20k I think you can get into a very well built jeep. 10k and you can get in to a very nice toyota truggy. It does seem as though if you don't have a LS motor people are shying away from them.

I agree.. Bout 20K asking price should get you a nice jeep. Anything around 10k usually has some kind of negative to it. Bad welds, poor design, etc.. Least that's what it seems like when I`m looking. Hell my TJ has a TBI motor and I wouldn`t sell it for a penny less that 18k just because of all the other parts and the fact I know it works good but, Your definitely right about folks wanting a LS motor these days. Hell I been thinking of a swap as well even though my motor has never kept me from doing what I wanted with my Jeep. I have two little girls so a back seat is a must for me. I`d love to have a M&M 4 seater chassis.

gottagofast said:
Yeah it seems like everyone thinks their rig is worth 'stupid money' when they sell but yours ain't worth chit when they buy....
What's stupid money for a build rig? Let's say for a typical build, 1 tons, stickies, coil overs, etc?

DirtMonkey said:
The last couple of years it seems the prices went bananas. I see YJs on junkyard axles, No Atlas, stock engine, and shoddy finishwork selling for 15k and Im like Lol...then it sells and I'm like WTF :****: Things seem to have slowed, but after the new year, it will likely take off again (tha'ts what seemed to happen last year)
There seems to be a (sizable) price point so avoid hack rigs. Its amazing when you really start looking at rigs everywhere, how many you see that have questionable welds, fabrication and overall design that immediately throw a red flag. If you are particular, it can get spendy...

I have noticed that there is a significant jump in price if you just throw an LS motor in it. There is nothing wrong with a good, reliable TBI engine, but it seems everyone has to have an LS motor...and that alone will bump the price up thousands. Guys who can build there own rig know that you can do an LS swap fairly cheap, but it seems to be the equivalent to a kitchen remodel. people who see that, close on the sale because cool kids have it,

Something else I have noticed there is much less high end parts in the classified the last couple of years...You used to be able to look in the classifieds here and on pirate and it would be full of high end tires, wheels, Atlas's, rigs...now, not so much. Some of this can be attributed to FB classifieds.

I will take 11k for mine right now!!!!! Mine is just a 1 ton jeep that never gets ridden.

sledneck said:
What's stupid money for a build rig? Let's say for a typical build, 1 tons, stickies, coil overs, etc?
The kind of money that would buy a house AND a jeep 20-30 years ago

The low end market has declined big time.

Cant hardly give away a built Toyota or Cherokee (much less anything that is less popular, Nissan, Isuzu, etc)

A buyer can get a good deal on a rig that doesn't have tons or an LS type motor... but nobody wants that anymore since SXS have took over the "trail riding" market.

Seems to me even the higher end jeeps stay on the market forever when trying to sell. Owners can't give them away.

This kinda stuff means a lot to me because I buy sell and trade a lot.

I'm not sure if you are talking about built Jeeps or Jeeps in general, or buggies, but I think I am noticing the same thing lately. I will be in the market for a TJ in the near future (once my shed is built so I can fit the Jeep in the garage) to put the set of tons and Atlas in that are sitting in my garage.

I am surprised that this Jeep hasn't sold yet:
http://nc4x4.com/forum/threads/jeep-wrangler-4-0.177136/

It seems like it would have been scooped up quickly a year or two ago.