• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how do you fill the shocks properly?

chilly4x4

ok i am new to the rc crawling scene. i picked up an axial crawler and i love it. i had a problem of the shock coming apart on me and they of course spilled there guts. i filled the shocks by pushing the shock up and down while filling it, then when it will not take anymore oil while fully depressed i cap it off. is this right? my shocks are way to soft and torque twist is becoming an issue. i did use the silicon oil, thinking of switching to something thicker. am i on the right track?

ok i am new to the rc crawling scene. i picked up an axial crawler and i love it. i had a problem of the shock coming apart on me and they of course spilled there guts. i filled the shocks by pushing the shock up and down while filling it, then when it will not take anymore oil while fully depressed i cap it off. is this right? my shocks are way to soft and torque twist is becoming an issue. i did use the silicon oil, thinking of switching to something thicker. am i on the right track?

well you are o the right track of filling it and ys go to heavyier oil like 90 weight, as far as torq. twist you will never get rid of all f it enless you go moa,motor on axle. to help keep your shocks together put the top on and then run a zip tie around it. also to help with torq. twist go to a threaded adjustible shock and run stiffer springs, also you could run multiple springs on your shocks. hope this helps you :awesomework: if you need more help post it up or pm me and i can try o help or point you in the right direction to someone that can:awesomework: and welcome to the rc crawler world:cheer:

Torque twist can be an issue, but it can be controlled to a manageable level.
Assuming you're running an AX-10, I'd recommend a 4-link conversion be high on your list of upgrades. It will do a lot to help the twist, and improve the overall performance of your crawler.

Guessing that if your shocks came apart, you've got the stock plastic bodied shocks. If that's the case, they will continue to come apart, they aren't the highest quality pieces, and could stand for an upgrade at some point. Until you do that, you can experiment with spring / oil combos. Start with adding a preload spacers to the left rear corner to fight the twist.

ok now onto lower links.

ok first off the crawler is the ax-10, well the other night while filling the shocks i decided to make changes to my lower links. after cutting them and while trying to force the screw into the link because i did not have the right tap i suceeded in breaking the screw off inside the link. i have the bent links now. my friend who has the same crawler is telling me to ditch the bent links and go to straight ones. i do not like to simply copy what someone else is doing but at the same time i hate waisting my coin. i saw some links that were still bent but were square and had holes thru the sides, they looked cool but i am afraid that might be their best function just looks. i am also thinking of just buying the tap set and some rod and making my own. the 4 link idea sounds good. but i am not a link knoleged person so i am confused on where to mount the links. it would be a good time to learn. i get paid tomorrow and i am doing someting even if it is wrong, so enlighten me please.

ok first on the bent links keep'em :awesomework:

on to the 4 link if you drill holes in the servo mount plate just run 2 links to it one on each side i just did this to one yesterday so i will take some pics and post them tomarrow :awesomework:

If you cant figure it out here, try rccrawler.com. There is alot of tech to search out on these subjects. Someone made a video on shock filling too.