• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep jk 6.0 swap suggestions

Jalopyjk

Hello everyone, I recently finished my one ton and 40 swap, the 3.8 has never really been enough so I'm trying to decide what's the best route to go for a swap, my county doesn't require emissions test anymore so I can do whatever. The problem and expensive part is getting the gm stuff to talk to the mopar with their cam-bus, So I'm wondering if it would be easier to completely strip the wiring out of the jeep and use Holley terminator max for engine and trans and wire the rest like a hot rod, has anyone tried this?

You could do the same thing and use the GM control system similar to the way buggies are built. I cut my own harness down when I built the buggy but they are not expensive to have professionally done. https://www.150tunes.com/ did my ECM programming when the engine was stock and they will cut harnesses down I think. Some friends have used http://www.jimsperformance.com/ and they do great work.

I have a RPM Extreme kit ordered for my JKU since it is a daily driver and I want everything to work.

You could do the same thing and use the GM control system similar to the way buggies are built. I cut my own harness down when I built the buggy but they are not expensive to have professionally done. https://www.150tunes.com/ did my ECM programming when the engine was stock and they will cut harnesses down I think. Some friends have used http://www.jimsperformance.com/ and they do great work.

I have a RPM Extreme kit ordered for my JKU since it is a daily driver and I want everything to work.
I really appreciate the reply, I'll check those places out. This thing needs a LS bad!!!

FWIW, my JK buggy has tons, 43 baja pro x's, and I've had a ripp supercharger on the 3.8 for a few years. I bang the rev limiter on it pretty much every trip making the long tubes glow. I'd for sure enjoy more low end balls to not be so violent in bumps because I need to get her spinning so she screams but it gets the job done at about half the cost and 6-8 hours install time.

Something to think about. I will eventually swap it with a blown 6.0 though.

FWIW, my JK buggy has tons, 43 baja pro x's, and I've had a ripp supercharger on the 3.8 for a few years. I bang the rev limiter on it pretty much every trip making the long tubes glow. I'd for sure enjoy more low end balls to not be so violent in bumps because I need to get her spinning so she screams but it gets the job done at about half the cost and 6-8 hours install time.

Something to think about. I will eventually swap it with a blown 6.0 though.
Well that sounds good and everything but I lost compression on #6, I really miss having power, I was into fast cars before the jeep. I wouldn't mind a blower on the 6.0 myself, maybe later on

Well that sounds good and everything but I lost compression on #6, I really miss having power, I was into fast cars before the jeep. I wouldn't mind a blower on the 6.0 myself, maybe later on
Was going to mention that lower axle gears or lower tcase gearing would help restore some of the lack of power the 3.8 makes + the 40's, but having lost compression in a cylinder throws that out the window.

Just toss the supercharger on the current motor til it sends parts into space then you already have the supercharger for when you LS swap it.

Was going to mention that lower axle gears or lower tcase gearing would help restore some of the lack of power the 3.8 makes + the 40's, but having lost compression in a cylinder throws that out the window.

Just toss the supercharger on the current motor til it sends parts into space then you already have the supercharger for when you LS swap it.
Lol I'm deep into parts now on the swap to waste any on the 3.8, I do plan to fix it so I can sell the engine and trans running together. I have a gen 3 6.0, 4l80e trans, ordered the Holley terminator max x, Holley 6.86 screen, intake with 102tb, and fuel rails, bbk short headers, BTR truck norris cam kit, new timing chain and oil pump, all gaskets, currently trying to decide which engine and trans brackets to use and I know I need the transfer case adapter and radiator but I'm getting there

Attachments

• 165CE0E2-928D-45CA-B28B-E8E4AFE9C5F4.jpeg
    165CE0E2-928D-45CA-B28B-E8E4AFE9C5F4.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 32E16A1D-8ABD-4967-8849-49D0ECB649E7.jpeg
    32E16A1D-8ABD-4967-8849-49D0ECB649E7.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 34F567C2-8267-4A1E-9B47-FDAAA34A31E6.jpeg
    34F567C2-8267-4A1E-9B47-FDAAA34A31E6.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 135
Looks like several are having problems with leaking aftermarket JK all aluminum radiators. I am going to try the stock 3.8 radiator with a 16-18 Camaro SS fan and an external oil cooler. I will try the matching Camaro radiator if it tries to get hot. It would require fabbing some mounts but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an aluminum radiator just to replace it every few years when it starts leaking.

Looks like several are having problems with leaking aftermarket JK all aluminum radiators. I am going to try the stock 3.8 radiator with a 16-18 Camaro SS fan and an external oil cooler. I will try the matching Camaro radiator if it tries to get hot. It would require fabbing some mounts but I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on an aluminum radiator just to replace it every few years when it starts leaking.
Good idea, my radiator is pretty new, I might try it myself, I definitely don't wanna spend more money if I'm gonna have issues