• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Laptop vs tablet.

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Just had Verizion call me and offer me a free tablet. My laptop has been slowly dying and I was thinking about replacing it. Anybody use a tablet at home instead of a laptop?

Re:

Both, but prefer the tablet unless I'm worKing on programs I can install on tablet.
For those, I remote in to the laptop or other machines.

I still generally feel like a tablet is a gadget, or toy, where a laptop is a tool for doing work. I have a laptop for my job that I use all day every day (actually on a docking station w/ a monitor, keyboard and mouse). When I'm not working I never use the laptop. If I'm just browsing the internet at home or wherever, I'm on my phone or my tablet.

I thought about getting one of the MS Surface tablets, but they seem like either a somewhat bulky and clunky tablet, or a mediocre laptop (unless you get the brand new really pricey one). Id rather have a nice laptop, or a nice tablet over something that tries to do both moderately well.

I use a tablet most all the time but all I do is get on the Internet for the most part but I also have a laptop if I need to do some real work lol !

Chuck19 said:
I use a tablet most all the time but all I do is get on the Internet for the most part but I also have a laptop if I need to do some real work lol !
This exactly. I rarely do anything in my garage without having my ipad with me. Always need to look up something.

bgredjeep said:
I still generally feel like a tablet is a gadget, or toy, where a laptop is a tool for doing work. I have a laptop for my job that I use all day every day (actually on a docking station w/ a monitor, keyboard and mouse). When I'm not working I never use the laptop. If I'm just browsing the internet at home or wherever, I'm on my phone or my tablet.

I thought about getting one of the MS Surface tablets, but they seem like either a somewhat bulky and clunky tablet, or a mediocre laptop (unless you get the brand new really pricey one). Id rather have a nice laptop, or a nice tablet over something that tries to do both moderately well.

X2
I use a laptop for all the real work and tablet for when I'm just dicking off. Tablets just can't do what a laptop does, YET.

Phone is still the go to device. Get a good one with a good size screen. 90% of my work can be done from my phone. Android >Apple as far as productivity, my co-owner is an iFan and I am constantly having to download or convert or do something and send it to him. Keep telling him to get a real phone. loller.gif

Re:

I have Samsung new 12.1 tablet and its basically a big phone. Doesnt work with adobe. Does a lot of cool things. It came with an s pen. I do use it more than the lap top but sites see it as a phone.

I wouldn't get the Verizon one. If you have WiFi it functions great. No wifi then use the phone as a hot spot and it works on the internet. They are going to make there money and then some with the plan.

We use a tablet all the time with work, the big thing is just having the wireless keyboad, if you have that and the capacity to run the programs necessary for your applications then I'm not sure you would ever need a laptop again

We have tried tablets for remote access work after hours. They work but can be frustrating working in our operating system that requires using function keys. They just haven't caught up quite yet but it will only be a matter of time. The Surface is close but by the time it is equipped to compete with a basic laptop it is virtually the same cost with less power. I wish they would catch up a little more so I could get one and toss it in my truck for emergency access to key programs and data.

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO