• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

MAF delete on stock 5.3?

DAkk

So I have a re-gasketed bone stock '01 5.3 Tahoe motor sittin in my bouncer/trail rig chassis,
I didn't get the maf sensor with the engine.. Are you guys useing a maf, or getting it tuned out?
From what I understand, it only reads at a constant throttle position/vehicle speed to fine tune the mix,
Which will prolly never happen in a trail rig, so, can I run without it? Any and all input is appreciated..

I wouldn't delete it. I have a speed density tuned LS6 with a supercharger on it in my street car and I'm considering going back to a MAF setup. The driveability of the car just isn't as smooth as with a MAF. I also have low throttle issues which can be common with speed density tuned vehicles.

Never delete the MAF unless you are going to adjust the tune every day you wheel. IMO

jk101 said:
Never delete the MAF unless you are going to adjust the tune every day you wheel. IMO

My buddies TTF buggy with an LS1 ran flawless for 2 years on a SD tune. He wheeled it at KOH, Moab, TN, KY & MI. Previous owner had fubar'd the maf setup, so our tuner changed it just to get it running right for his next trip. Ran so well he never cared to go thru the hassle of fixing it.

Personally I prefer a MAF, just saying a properly done SD tune will work fine. Last MAF I bought from a pick and pull for a 5.3 was $16, go get one and a can of MAF cleaner. ;)

Thanks guys.. I will leave the MAF wires in the harness, and just get emissions and VATS deleted. I left the engine stock, so hopefully the factory tune will keep it reliable and reasonably bulletproof..