• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

np231

darius

Shorter than LRZ
So my girl's 231 is fubar something in the front output or the chain or whatever. anyway's correct me if I'm wrong but I should be able to pull out the chain between the input and the front output and run the rear shaft only. The thing is noisy as hell so I want to make it so all it does is high range rear till I pick up another case. So am I right?

Yep should work. The main drive shaft inside the T-case is the same as drive line for the rear. Kinda PITA to take it all apart just to take the chain out.

JOOP said:
Yep should work. The main drive shaft inside the T-case is the same as drive line for the rear. Kinda PITA to take it all apart just to take the chain out.

I've done probably 50 short shaft kit's and replaced a bunch of shift forks in them but not positive if it will throw anything off. It will be about a 1 hour job, but the noises that come out of that thing makes it worth it.

I've already sold mine, but someone here has got to have a take-out unit when they put an Atlas in.... Just swap the whole damn thing out. I've got a 241 from a Grand Cherokee, but something reminds me that they're different, only don't remember what the diff is...

TreeClimber said:
I've already sold mine, but someone here has got to have a take-out unit when they put an Atlas in.... Just swap the whole damn thing out. I've got a 241 from a Grand Cherokee, but something reminds me that they're different, only don't remember what the diff is...

I thinkits the bolt pattern to the tranny. Not 100% sure on that. :cool:

TreeClimber said:

Well I'm working on the replacement thing, but I'm not what you call loaded, so it need's a temp fix till I can afford a replacement

The later Grand Cherokee tcases won't work (with the Mopar trans) but the 93s with AW4 came with NV249 or NP231 (and some NP242s) all 23 spline. I was going to put a NP208 in my '84 J10 with the '93 ZJ 4.0L and AW4 in it now, but I picked up a Rubicon NV241 OR that will bolt up. (the 249 is up for grabs cheap)