• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

School me about diesel trucks

Bobbo3234

I will be in the market for a truck in the next couple of months and am looking into purchasing a diesel.

A late 90's GMC Turbo Diesel has sparked my interest, but I don't have much knowledge about this truck. I have had difficulty finding many aftermarket upgrades. I believe Banks had the GMC 93-96 and then 01-06. Why the gap between 96 and 01.

I hear the Ford Powerstrokes are strong motors but the tranny's are weak. The Dodge Cummins is always a reliable choice.

Which years should I watch out for? Are aftermarket parts available?

My dad brought up a point that the diesel mix may be changing at the end of the year, less sulfer content, how will that effect performance?

I will be doing my homework on this this weekend, just looking for some quick info.

Thanks

ANy GM Diesel thats pre Duramax stay away from.....

The Cummins is a better motor then the PSD, but the dodge autos are just as weak as the fords.

Any '95+ Powerstroke is a good truck, I've seen them running strong with 300k on them. Granted I've also seen Cummin's powered trucks running strong with 500k on them:redneck:

Ford or Dodge, they're both good trucks. You're going to get everyone telling you Dodge only, because they're super close minded :flipoff:

Anyother inputs....I received a call from my dad after he talked to the engine guy at his shop.

His input is that the 6.5 Turbo Diesel is a pretty "good" motor. The truck I am looking at is $7500. This still could be a decent deal even if i had to drop some extra money into it.

its all about how the truck was broken in on a diesel. i here people say the 6.5 is a piece but not sure why? i know of 6 people here in wyoming that love there 6.5...it may be slow but they say its been a relieble turd. my roomates dad still has his 95 6.5 chevy and running strong around 150000. now running a duramax but thats besides the point.

i would have to ask crash what problems they came in for. but from what ive heard and seen they run good, just not power houses

Kelly said:
ANy GM Diesel thats pre Duramax stay away from.....

Reasons (besides the obvious power difference)?
The only things that seem to break on my 6.5 NA are the rest of the running gear...

They are really expensive to own and operate, anybody who thinks they are not is in denial. :haha:

Duramax, 99-02 PSD or any Cummins are great. Better mileage then a gas and 3+ times the torque. it takes an average of 80K-100K miles to actually get your money back for the extra initial cost plus extra cost to maintain. But gas motors start losing their torque after about 80K +/- miles and diesels hold it well past 250K miles.

I would stay with a 95+ Dodge, or Powersmoke. I was very happy with my 97 Stroke, and even happier with my 06 Cummins. I would stay away from the early GM diesels, as they dont even compare to the newer Turbo diesels in reliability, as well as power.

The only way you're going to really enjoy the benifits of owning a diesel is if you get one that's worth a damn. Obviously the older non turbo'd diesels are good trucks and will last a long time. But they're gutless and you'd pretty much wish you had a BB again. My old Ford BB would beat the crap out of any early diesel.

If you want to test drive an older Cummins lemme know. Mine's not a power monster but it'll give you an idea on how they feel.

Bobbo3234 said:
I will be in the market for a truck in the next couple of months and am looking into purchasing a diesel.

A late 90's GMC Turbo Diesel has sparked my interest, but I don't have much knowledge about this truck. I have had difficulty finding many aftermarket upgrades. I believe Banks had the GMC 93-96 and then 01-06. Why the gap between 96 and 01.

I hear the Ford Powerstrokes are strong motors but the tranny's are weak. The Dodge Cummins is always a reliable choice.

Which years should I watch out for? Are aftermarket parts available?

My dad brought up a point that the diesel mix may be changing at the end of the year, less sulfer content, how will that effect performance?

I will be doing my homework on this this weekend, just looking for some quick info.

Thanks

Stay away from the I-beam suspension on the 3/4 ton powerstrokes. It costs alot to fix and maintain. Find a 1 ton with a solid dana 60.

The dodges usually had the 60 (if not always) but they have the horrible unit bearings at the wheels (fords had the traditional wheel bearings)

Ford manual trannies (ZF?) work fine. Haven't heard of as many probs as the NV4500 in the dodges (lose 5th gear). For a dodge look for one that has the "kit" to fix 5th gear or has an NV5600.

12 valve seems to be best bang for the buck on the cummins. 24 valve is good but seems to cost more to "hop up".

Dowel pin on the dodge in the timing cover can work its way loose and blow the engine. Fix it right away if you get one.

Old Body Style ford powerstrokes got improvements every year till they swapped to the Super Dutys. '97 was the best year of the OBS powerstrokes. Note: they don't have intercoolers but have a massive turbo to move lots of air to help keep egts low. 1.15 as compared to .84 on the SDs.

hope that helps ya some.

PS Dodge gets better fuel mileage.
and don';t worry about the new low sulfur fuel...just use biodiesel as it lubes the injectors and cleans the fuel system at the same time. Also, it smells like hamburgers and currently COSTS LESS than regular diesel.:clappy:

Tankota said:
and don';t worry about the new low sulfur fuel...just use biodiesel as it lubes the injectors and cleans the fuel system at the same time. Also, it smells like hamburgers and currently COSTS LESS than regular diesel.:clappy:

That can be debated with extremely reliable sources for both sides of the fence

Bobbo3234 said:
thanks for the great info
You're welcome.
I went with the PSD cause it was the only crewcab in my price range. Dodge crewcabs were brand new and cost twice as much.

The fastest truck I've ever been in is Wheelinjps. That dodge is insane (twin turbos blah blah blah). Oh, and it :cool: a little bit :D

Tankota said:
You're welcome.
I went with the PSD cause it was the only crewcab in my price range. Dodge crewcabs were brand new and cost twice as much.

The fastest truck I've ever been in is Wheelinjps. That dodge is insane (twin turbos blah blah blah). Oh, and it :cool: a little bit :D
You should have ridden in it when it had 200 hp more then that :redneck:

And don't touch the 5th gear nut untill it falls off, it won't hurt anything when it does.. Some of them from the factory were done differently and will hold better then anything you'll do to it.

helll no.. That was diesel only, over 750 rwhp on the rollers.. right before he broke the straps and **** his pants :haha: ok maybe not that bad.. but it definitely scared the crap out of him.. That truck also threw a wheel weight on an above ground dyno while the tires were doing 126 mph.

With the 750 run, when he started it up the truck rocked back and forth for a few minutes till it warmed up, then she ran smooth.. Biggggg injectors. :redneck: