• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering pump options for full hydro

Diezl

Having a hard time deciding what to do for a pump, i have a 2.5x8" DE, 160ml valve, and reservoir.
I have been using a stock 05 GM truck pump with hydro assist for years with no problems. Not sure if i just put the stocker in a psc can, or go psc p-pump, tc, cbr, or radial dynamics cb-x?
I have also heard really good things about "scotts gear pump" but a little more than i would like to spend.

What have you had good luck with? and what flows well at low rpm?

The P-Pump has the biggest displacement of the ones mentionned, outside of the gear pump from Scott. So it's the one that'll perform best at low RPM (with the same drive ratio of course).

There is a significant difference between a stocker and a CB-X, both in cost and in performance.

If you're happy with what you have, why change ?

The P-Pump has the biggest displacement of the ones mentionned, outside of the gear pump from Scott. So it's the one that'll perform best at low RPM (with the same drive ratio of course).

There is a significant difference between a stocker and a CB-X, both in cost and in performance.

If you're happy with what you have, why change ?
I probably wasn't clear I have been using hydro assist for years with a stock pump and a yj gear box, just now switching to a full hydro setup so wanted to see if I should upgrade pumps while everything is torn down.

Ahhhhhh big difference.

If you can afford the Radial Dynamics stuff, I beleive that it's be best solution out there for "race" use. Scotts gear pump probably is the best for trail riding.

Ahhhhhh big difference.

If you can afford the Radial Dynamics stuff, I beleive that it's be best solution out there for "race" use. Scotts gear pump probably is the best for trail riding.
What do you use? What's a good middle of the road I guess, I'm not racing maybe the occasional "spirited trail ride" lol Scott's is pretty steep for me i don't feel like I would use it to it's full potential

Nothing wrong with a stock pump honestly. I can see a high dollar rig or race rig but a trail rig I feel a stock pump is adequate, at least it had been for me

Nothing wrong with a stock pump honestly. I can see a high dollar rig or race rig but a trail rig I feel a stock pump is adequate, at least it had been for me
Yeah was just trying to feel that out what normal trail rig guys use, can always change it down the road if i dont like how it performs i guess.

The high flow "race" psc tc or cbr pump will work well for your application. I have the same 2.5x8 ram but a 200ml 12.2ci valve. It works out to 2 turn lock to lock with 43s on a superduty axle hitting the factory knuckle stops. I had the tc on it first and it worked great 90% of the time. Low rpm/fast turning situations it would stall for a brief second due to volume demands. Got the unregulated psc cbr pump from a friend for the increased gpm flow and the it got better but I was still able to replicate the same stall out on some occasions. I plan to go to the radial dynamics cb-x this summer to see the difference. But with your 160ml orbital I wouldn't hesitate to run either of those psc pumps.

What do you use? What's a good middle of the road I guess, I'm not racing maybe the occasional "spirited trail ride" lol Scott's is pretty steep for me i don't feel like I would use it to it's full potential

CB-X from RD. Great pump, but it's not cheap.
For your use case I'd get a normal PSC CBR and it'll be great.

@Jduck : The CB-X and the unregulated PSC pump make the same displacement. It won't change the low speed performance. I chose to run the CB-X vs the billet PSC unit in order to avoid the super high GPM output at high engine RPM which IMO causes more problems than it solves. The only good way to solve the low RPM stalling is a bigger displacement pump. Either a gear pump or the TT one. I really wanted one, but the 3 grand price tag for the proper reservoir, pump and pressure relief steered me away from it.

you could always add a priority flow divider to take care of the excess flow at high RPM

Yes. But this adds complexity and plumbing. And it takes room in the oh so tight "engine bays" of some rigs.

The Radial Dynamics TT pump that is internally regulated to 7 GPM seems (to me) like the absolute ticket. Displacement is exactly twice as much as a TC pump, which means low RPM output will be amazing. It will hold to massive abuse (see how TTs use them), and the internal regulation limits the problems of dealing with massive volume at high RPM. But $$$.

I know the TT pumps are based on the Saginaw 235 pumps. I've always wondered what we could do with a stock one before they need to be completely transformed. But honestly they are rare and I have no idea where to find one since they aren't made new anymore.

CB-X from RD. Great pump, but it's not cheap.
For your use case I'd get a normal PSC CBR and it'll be great.

@Jduck : The CB-X and the unregulated PSC pump make the same displacement. It won't change the low speed performance. I chose to run the CB-X vs the billet PSC unit in order to avoid the super high GPM output at high engine RPM which IMO causes more problems than it solves. The only good way to solve the low RPM stalling is a bigger displacement pump. Either a gear pump or the TT one. I really wanted one, but the 3 grand price tag for the proper reservoir, pump and pressure relief steered me away from it.

Gotcha. For some reason I thought Eric said his flowed close to max volume at idle area rpm's which led me to believe it would be a better option. I may need to check into that.

I'd suggest calling him and seeing what he says.

If you want to test his CB-X, let me know, I'll loan you mine as it's sitting on a shelf RN.

I'd suggest calling him and seeing what he says.

If you want to test his CB-X, let me know, I'll loan you mine as it's sitting on a shelf RN.

I'll reach out and see what he says. Appreciate the offer on the pump, let me see what he says and I'll be in touch.

I guess while we are on the steering subject, are the the fittings interchangeable on the PSC reservoirs/pumps ? I have a PSC TC pump and resi with the 10AN inlet fittings. I'm looking to upgrade to 12AN suction and Pump inlet to my current TC pump and to the CBx pump when I rework my steering. is there such an animal? I see PSC offers the 12an ORB fittings and I assume the threaded portions that thread into the resi and pump will work?

The PSC resi has (2) 1/2 ORB fittings and (1) 3/4 ORB.

I have no knowledge about the TC pump inlet fitting, but if you have a AN6 outlet, you don't need to upgrade to a AN12 inlet, AN10 is good enough.

Just upgrade the lines when you do the CBx pump.

Appreciate the information fellas. If I strike it rich, I may try out the Radial dynamics resi when I upgrade the pump since I want to go rear steer in the future.