• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Super joint greasing

loganwayne

looking at getting a set for the jeep I'm building will be a trail jeep. 0-10 miles of street driving a year. i had someone tell me you needed to grease the joints everyday that your going to trail ride. does anyone have any experience with these joints and how often are you having to grease the joints, i don't mind having to do it once before a trip but id rather not have to do it every morning before we head out on the trails/

Re: Super joint greasing

I had them on a Dana 44 setup and if I would go three or four trips through some really shity water and mud they would start to squeak.

The ideal setup is to get some locking hubs when using those joints.

They could be finicky though you could grease them and then at the end of the day they might squeak but then you might be able to get five or six rides out of them and not hear anything.

They can also be kind of hard to grease with that needle gun they provide. I found it best to just remove the actual fitting and squirt the anti seize compound in there and then put the fitting back in.

if it's for a dana 60 I would recommend ouverson machine they are cheaper and they have a fitting you can grease a lot easier all 4 caps at once!

its for a 60 ouverson's have been brought up to me before. East Coast Gear Supply has an axle shaft package deal that with super joints give a life time warranty on shafts and joints if you buy superjoints. threw the package deal the joints come out to 420.00 for the pair, thats about equal with the ouverson set. i guess i need to call ecgs and see if they will warranty the shafts with those joints.

I grease mine before every ride. Sometimes more than once if somewhere like Harlan where we travel longer distances.

Before every trip when I have it on the lift seeing what fell off it the last trip. I treat them just like a normal joint...Don't over fill and blow the seal out.

Re: Super joint greasing

Every trip. Crazy long mileage days, then every day. It's easy to do and usually takes less than 5 mins.