• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

swapping the jeep Dana35c for a ford 8.8

Rock_Crusher said:
any chimes on the 2 comparison's - yota vs ford?

My first thought would be a wierd rear driveline if ya went toyota. Im learning more and more that sticking with generic swaps/mods will get you finished quicker and often last longer..Go with a exploder 8.8 with discs and be done with it...

Rock_Crusher said:
I have the AX-15...

and I want to be different.... where do i get the 7/8 th's spacer...

and i want to run a toyota rear axle as well, nothing over 33's... so I don't think it's a real issue... any chimes on the 2 comparison's - yota vs ford?

Oops! Forgot to mention I have a Dana 300 clocking ring for sale too. $75 (I think that's what I paid for it)

If you go with the Toyota, you'll have to have your rear driveline re-done to mate up to the round flange on the Toy axle. Don't know if you can get replacement yokes for the Toy axle like you can for the 8.8 to adapt to a 1310 u-joint. Also, lug pattern is going to be funky (6 on 5.5 for the toyota vs 5 on 4.5 for the 8.8). Toyota uses metric brakline fittings, so you will have to have a custom rear brakeline made up with a metric fitting on one end and a standard fitting on the other. No factory disc brakes on any toyota 8" I've seen, some later model ones may have them, hard to say for sure, I've never looked. 8.8 is an advantage there too since you can get them with discs from a 95-up explorer. The Toy axle is going to be just as much work to swap in as the 8.8, if not more... and you'll have those drawbacks above as well (the lug pattern would be the big one for me).

And the worst thing about the Toyota rear axle? It's from a Toyota! Duh! :flipoff:

NotMatt said:
If you go with the Toyota, you'll have to have your rear driveline re-done to mate up to the round flange on the Toy axle. Don't know if you can get replacement yokes for the Toy axle like you can for the 8.8 to adapt to a 1310 u-joint. Also, lug pattern is going to be funky (6 on 5.5 for the toyota vs 5 on 4.5 for the 8.8). Toyota uses metric brakline fittings, so you will have to have a custom rear brakeline made up with a metric fitting on one end and a standard fitting on the other. No factory disc brakes on any toyota 8" I've seen, some later model ones may have them, hard to say for sure, I've never looked. 8.8 is an advantage there too since you can get them with discs from a 95-up explorer. The Toy axle is going to be just as much work to swap in as the 8.8, if not more... and you'll have those drawbacks above as well (the lug pattern would be the big one for me).

And the worst thing about the Toyota rear axle? It's from a Toyota! Duh! :flipoff:

DUHH!! :flipoff: Toyota 8" rear axle is a not even an option for the jeep no mater how you look at it cause it is way to narrow (like 6"s to narrow).

I was talking about the Toyota 9.5" full floater with disk brakes from a LC FJ80 with a selectable locker where the benefits that come with one considerably out weigh the hassle imo. But keep in mind there around $1200 used. And the drive shaft is slightly off set to 1 side, some people think that matters more so then I do.:stirpot:

wazz said:
DUHH!! :flipoff: Toyota 8" rear axle is a not even an option for the jeep no mater how you look at it cause it is way to narrow (like 6"s to narrow).

I was talking about the Toyota 9.5" full floater with disk brakes from a LC FJ80 with a selectable locker where the benefits that come with one considerably out weigh the hassle imo. But keep in mind there around $1200 used. And the drive shaft is slightly off set to 1 side, some people think that matters more so then I do.:stirpot:

I have a friend who swapped a toy 8" under his XJ... with 2" wheel spacers on either side... it's an option, but not a real good one. :D

Nice,

This one time we started measuring for a swap on a buddy of mines Wrangler and even with the wider 8" toy rear it was still way way off, so he steped up & just went with the Explorer diff and has been very happy with the swap.

He got the adapter flange and U-joint from Six States in Portland cause it was cheaper then M.O.R.E.'s, the brake line needed an extension since the Ford diff exited the R-side and the Jeep was in the middle. He said adapting the e-brake wasent to bad either.

You guys are buying adaptors? :wtf:

Explorers use 1310 joints stock. Just take the flange off the rear joint with you with you pull the rear end. grab the bolts too.

You may be right if you ended up with the DS when you get the diff,

you will still need an adapter u-joint from what he says.

edit: actualy your both kinda right Jeep makes 2 different u-joints for that 94 Wrangler spot

Last edited: