• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

The good & the bad

Rock_Crusher

1994 Jeep Wrangler Yj - leaky rear end.

Well, I had a little leak in my rear.... *(ha ha) figured I'd change the fluid & see the condition of the Gears...

The good......

gears look great, no metal shavings or worn edges.

The bad.....

3.07's w/ no locker & 33in tires...

--------------------------------------------
What would you guys recommend for gearing? and a locker for the stock 35c.
until I find the perfect donor rear end - this'll have to do.:rolleyes:
Right now it's not too bad on the street, low Rpm's w/ the 4.0 - 5speed.

Last edited:
What's wrong with 3.07's? You have the 4.0l. Come back and try again when you have 3.07's and a 2.5. :rolleyes:

IF you need gears, I have a bunch of matching stes in the Junk truck at tom's shop. Let me know.

Where was the leak? Pinion seal, diff cover, or the rubber fill plug?

well of course it doesn't have a lcoker in it. slap a lock right in it or an Aussie. Aussie's are suppose to be good lockers.

weld the 35's carrier, through some 4 10's or 4.56's in the front and back, and beat on it till it explodes in a grand fashion.

just the seal around the cover was leaking...

3.07's aren't cutting it!

stuttering too much w/ 33's up hill in 2wd 1st... need 4.10's at least.

how hard to change from the 3's to the 4's.... ?

I wouldn't bother regearing the D35 unless you get a set of 4.10's for free and the setup parts for cheap. Just go find a 4.10 one out of a 4 cylinder wrangler for now (grab the front axle while you're at it too). Save the $$$ for an 8.8 or other better axle.

Rock_Crusher said:
just the seal around the cover was leaking...

3.07's aren't cutting it!

stuttering too much w/ 33's up hill in 2wd 1st... need 4.10's at least.

how hard to change from the 3's to the 4's.... ?

IIRC amanda has an 8.8 with 4.10's. PM OlllllllO :D

NotMatt said:
I wouldn't bother regearing the D35 unless you get a set of 4.10's for free and the setup parts for cheap. Just go find a 4.10 one out of a 4 cylinder wrangler for now (grab the front axle while you're at it too). Save the $$$ for an 8.8 or other better axle.

X2

I've help do this for a couple of my friends. Not worth regearing the 35.

NotMatt said:

If you are going to wheel this, don't spend the money for gears for that rear end. Spend it on something (Like a decent transfer case) that you will not end up replacing anyway. Cheaper and way better in the long run. If you got 3.8 or 4.3 in the transfer case you would have street gears and good trail gears all in one.

You can get a cheap lunchbox locker to play with untill you find a decent rear end. Then you can sell off the locker to the next person in line with the same scenerio.

I know someone how has a 4.10 D35 r&P. They want money for it though,not free.

3.73 8.8s are really common in exploders... 3.73s and 33s isn't bad with a torquey motor, and would get ya by untill you could afford gears. And... I know how to tighten up the stock 8.8 trash lock so it would be better than open.