• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Toyota 22R builders

B.DRAKE

Well my old 22R(carb motor not EFI)finally gave up in my Toyota something came apart in it. I absolutely am not a mechanic so I'm looking for reputable builder that's good with these motors in N. Alabama or close that I can take it to have it gone through.

Thought about doin a 2RZ or 3RZ just don't know how much more that would cost over a rebuild and some upgrades to the old 22R.

Any input on cost or builder would be appreciated!

Thanks!

B.DRAKE said:
Well my old 22R(carb motor not EFI)finally gave up in my Toyota something came apart in it. I absolutely am not a mechanic so I'm looking for reputable builder that's good with these motors in N. Alabama or close that I can take it to have it gone through.

Thought about doin a 2RZ or 3RZ just don't know how much more that would cost over a rebuild and some upgrades to the old 22R.

Any input on cost or builder would be appreciated!

Thanks!

When the 22RE was gone through in full in my rig back in about 2010, there was about $1200 thrown at it by the time it was back in the rig and running. I would have to dig through storage to find all of the receipts from the PO, but between parts, gaskets, machine work, etc. It was balanced, port matched to all of the gaskets, some valve work done and new rocker assembly's among other parts. Its got more woopows than any other 22r/re rig I have had by far, but the PO spent a chunk of change on it and our buddy did all the work. All of his 22r/re engines that get built are strong as hell. We are up in NC and he is backed up with his own work right now or else I would turn you his way.

If I was looking at a more modern swap, I would look at the 2RZ's. They have almost the same horsepower and torque as a 3rz but are considerably less $$$ from the junkyards. By the time you get a 2RZ and all the parts needed to bolt it into your truck, wired ready to run, you'll probably be about $2k into it. $600 engine, $200 +/- W59 bellhousing to bolt the 2rz to a W56, $600-700 for the wiring from ORS if you don't do it yourself, fuel system, oil pan swap, engine mounts etc will all be needed to complete the swap.

If you stick with the 22re best thing you can do is drop a medium cam in it. Put a Jacobs ignition on mine in the past and that woke it up a good bit also

I have a well built 22re that came out of Josh Rohlings old buggy. Spposed to be sold with the rest of the stuff but if buyer backs out Ill let you know.

bluzuk80 said:
I have a well built 22re that came out of Josh Rohlings old buggy. Spposed to be sold with the rest of the stuff but if buyer backs out Ill let you know.
??????????????????????? No buggy??????????????

When i built mine last year (22r) race engine design in chattanooga done my block and crank work,dover cylinder head did the head and i bought the engblr from Oregon guys kit and i ended up with around 1500 in it complete,so maybe this will give you an idea of about how much it would cost vs a complete pull out 3rz