• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Tracker/dana 44 hybrid (turd polishing) build

Started boring the inner c I'd to fit the new tubes. Save some grinding time.

Anyone have good luck with a certain ball joint over another?

Still have to get some shaft u joints, and pinion/carrier bearings.

Have a 2.5x6.5 double ended steering ram. Think I have heard a dana 44 is just under 7"?

Re: Re: Tracker/dana 44 hybrid (turd polishing) build

Red97 said:

Started boring the inner c I'd to fit the new tubes. Save some grinding time.

Anyone have good luck with a certain ball joint over another?

Still have to get some shaft u joints, and pinion/carrier bearings.

Have a 2.5x6.5 double ended steering ram. Think I have heard a dana 44 is just under 7"?
Glad to see you back at it. I have thought about doing this same thing with some toyota axles. I was just going to weld the spiders together to create a spool. But i don't have the tools you do.

Why this ? Have a 2.5x6.5 double ended steering ram ? If you are using Dana 44 Front axle shafts ?

I already have it, and matched to my orbital.

Should be 2 ish turns lock to lock.

Think it may be a bit short to take advantage of the d44 steering angle?

One side fits. New tubes are close .180 larger diameter than the scout tubes.

Going to make some caliper brackets for the front/rear and run tracker calipers/rotors on all 4 corners. What I currently have and seem to work well with 35's.

Pressed out the old ball joints, torched the u joints.

Heading out of town the next few weeks, plan to have the parts waiting for my return.

Scout uses d30 27 spline outers still larger than the sami/tracker stuff. I have a set of flanges for the front, assuming the welded spiders hold, wondering what kind of u joints I should use? 760x or greasable? Would like to have a fuse other than the r/p carrier.

I think the stubs will be the weak link? Thoughts?

I would like to add, but my Explorer weighed 5500 and I ran RCVs. The Ranger was light, but I had stock internals, minus spools and Yukon gears. I broke lockouts, hubs, r&p, and one RCV had a come apart, but I don't believe you'll have any of those problems with your weight and power.

Thank you for the reply.

My plan is to run the stock shafts and a 760x joint.

The scout 44 stub (27spline) smallest diameter is the same size as 26 spline tracker/sami shafts 1.060

Have lock outs and flanges. Think I will run the lock outs at first and carry a flange with me if a lock out gives up.

If the ring/pinion holds up and I am breaking shafts/joints(not likely ) I'll get some rcv shafts. If the ring,pinion/carrier dosent hold up, I'll build a 9"/44 lol

Other c cut off/bored to size. New u joints in shafts. Pressed the ball joints out still waiting on new ones.
Had to turn down the diameter of the hub to slide the tracker rotors on. May have to press studs through the rotor anyway. Just depends on how far out the caliper sticks.

I guess if they aren't hitting on my current axles, they should be fine on these.

Plan to make some umhw or brass spindle bushing, unless someone has a good reason not to?

Any one have a good image hosting site besides photobucket? Attachments here don't seem to work well on my phone.

7576137abfa030a7ceeaa575837326a2.jpg

Long side was almost too long for the little lathe between centers.

a7cbd8859c43e63b8cc2020d0a306327.jpg

Hubs turned down. 125 just enough for the rotor to fit over the hub.

f3eb6f7d027bd66de95cfcc67878b847.jpg

Parts pile.

Latest posts