• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TSc rams

Elliott

I've used the same setup over and over on rigs with no problems, but now i'm kinda stumped. Tsc ram, charlynn vavle, chevrolet standard powersteering pump, always works great don't really know how many i've put on with never a minutes problem. We've never had a ram fail. Now i'm putting together a cheap jeep to drive untill I get my new rockwell buggie finished and was going to use my old setup from my last buggie. Steering is for **** won't hardly turn at all and none if sitting still.I just put a psc orbital, and new ram and still no change but I have a stock jeep pump on it only difference from any other one i've done. The **** at psc i talked to keeps saying it's the ram that they never work even though i have run them numerous times myself and installed countless others.Wouldn't sell me a pump setup saying it would just burn it up. SO my question is what has everyone run on 4 cylinder motors for pumps, right now I want as much pressure as I can get.Talked to a guy at wheelin and he said to take a neon pump and go three drill bit sizes on the orfice, looking for a racing pump or something like this just want it fixed.

I'm running a 93 model 2.5 with PSC ram, Char=Lynn orpital, factory pump with a cooler and no problems at all. Maybe put a new pump on yours might help :dunno:

Thats what i was saying tried to order a pump kit from them and the guy I talked to kept saying it was the ram that they wouldn't work, that it would burn a pump up right off the bat, I just cant see it being the ram, since I've ran that setup for several years. Feels like the psc ram needs more pressure, he said there was no difference between orbitals on how much pressure they needed but there was a deffinate difference between the other slower valve and the brand new psc on how they felt, the psc was alot smoother but slower. I keep leaning to the pressure side.

You know what looks good on paper don't always work in the real world, The guy at PSC has argued with me about the setup on my Jeep, saying it would NOT work, So far 3 years and no issues. I would go with what I know and disreguard what He told you.

Maybe try a new pump from the local parts store

I had this same problem a while back . Psc kept saying that is was my ram that was the problem . But when i put a pressure gauge on the pump it was only putting out 400 psi .. So i called Norm at KRC and he hooked me up with a new pump ..

Just borrowed a pressure gauge to check my pump Just wondering what kind of pressure are you getting out of your krc

Elliott said:
I've used the same setup over and over on rigs with no problems, but now i'm kinda stumped. Tsc ram, charlynn vavle, chevrolet standard powersteering pump, always works great don't really know how many i've put on with never a minutes problem. We've never had a ram fail. Now i'm putting together a cheap jeep to drive untill I get my new rockwell buggie finished and was going to use my old setup from my last buggie. Steering is for **** won't hardly turn at all and none if sitting still.I just put a psc orbital, and new ram and still no change but I have a stock jeep pump on it only difference from any other one i've done. The **** at psc i talked to keeps saying it's the ram that they never work even though i have run them numerous times myself and installed countless others.Wouldn't sell me a pump setup saying it would just burn it up. SO my question is what has everyone run on 4 cylinder motors for pumps, right now I want as much pressure as I can get.Talked to a guy at wheelin and he said to take a neon pump and go three drill bit sizes on the orfice, looking for a racing pump or something like this just want it fixed.

Your pump is your problem. Find a way to put a "p" pump on it and or check to see i f your pump is dead.

I've always ran a p pump before, doing some digging in on this and was wondering what size orbitals everyone is running versus rams and pumps. I've had good luck with charlynn valves but the new psc orbital I have is 200 cc /12 ci probably to much for my pump thinking it needs to be 125ccs but the **** at psc said the orbital doesn't know the difference in pressure. Knowing this isn't right because the last one I had was much easier to turn with same pump just kept hanging left turns , which is the reason for my changing

I think what Kelvin or Lance at PSC were trying to explain is correct in that the orbital does not sense pressure change. Orbitals don't affect pressure per se. However, if you have a larger displacement orbital it will move more fluid than a lower cc orbital. Think about how some people run a 4 turns lock to lock or some have a 1 turn. I would tend to say most people use a 9.7 CC or 7.6 CC displacement orbital. If you run something bigger in the 12's or 15's, in terms of ccs, I could totally see where you would kill a stock poor flowing pump.
In terms of pumps, even the most hopped up "N" or "TC" style pump struggles to compete with a stock, let alone modified "p" pump. Yet, these do work in certain situtations.
If you are using a chevrolet "p" pump and this is what is happening then a couple of things are going on. One, your pump is shot plain and simple. Two, you have a major restriction in the system or line blocked/crimped. A "p" pump should do the job without issue. I can tell you this from 10 years of running hydro steering and even running front and rear steering off of a single "p" pump with only ONE pump failure in 10 years! The pumps I use are over the counter pumps and not these super high dollar modified pumps either.
While you feel like you had a bad experience with Kelvin or Lance, I can tell you that those two guys do really know their stuff. Actually I have found them to be rather good to work with over the last 6 years that I have interacted with them. In fact, I would dare say from my experience in this hobby for 18 years that are some of the very best I have ever done business with. An example is what Kelvin did for me once He warrantied a reservoir I had purchased over two years prior simply so that I did not have to pay for a new one that I was buying ( went from a 6 inch reservoir to an 8 reservoir). He offered when I told him what I was doing..I was floored..Hell he did not even charge me shipping. I think that what they told probably has merit as they see a lot of stuff. But, I would say everyone to some degree is fallable and falls into the "trap" of telling people things won't work when they do.. Most of us have probably been on both sides of that one..
I would say look hard at your pump. It should work IMO with a TSC style ram.. BUt, certainly your pump is the first place I would start and then look at what you have pieced together in terms of size of the orbital, the size of the ram ( larger bore requires more fluid to move), and the abilities of your pump.

Elliott said:
Talked to a guy at wheelin and he said to take a neon pump and go three drill bit sizes on the orfice, looking for a racing pump or something like this just want it fixed.
If you choose to drill out the orifice be very careful you do not drill it to BIG. If you drill it to big the pump will move to much fluid and kill the pump. Essentially the the pump moved more fluid than it is fed. I suggest searching on the internet or going to the "redneck ram" website. I believe he has this information in detail on his site in terms of the largest size to enlarge your fitting in your pump. FYI, there are "p" pumps that can be bought over the counter that already have the large hole from the factory thumb.gif

Looking at the pump is what I was doing when I called them twice trying to order one, only to get told both times that it was a ram that in no way would work , when I own an offroad shop and have built over 20 full rigs and have never had a ram problem before.

Elliott said:
Looking at the pump is what I was doing when I called them twice trying to order one, only to get told both times that it was a ram that in no way would work , when I own an offroad shop and have built over 20 full rigs and have never had a ram problem before.

well don't order one from them. Go to the parts house and buy one...if you would like to know a good one to buy pm me.