• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

TSF - Fire Season

Raven1

Good Morning Patrollers,

I thought I'd pass on this press release. We're not in regulated use yet so campfires and riding are the same as usual. We will be posting "No Fireworks" signs this week in anticipation of the holiday weekend.

I'll continue to update you regarding fire season as the summer progresses.

Stephanie A. Beall
Recreation Coordinator
Oregon Department of Forestry
801 Gales Creek Road
Forest Grove, OR 97116
[email protected]
http://oregon.gov/ODF/TSF/tillamook_story.shtml

Sent: Friday, June 23, 2006 4:55 PM
Subject: ODF-Fire season to begin in NW Oregon

Oregon Dept. of Forestry issued the following news release today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Jeff Peck
Friday, June 23, 2006 (503)357-2191

FIRE SEASON TO BEGIN IN NORTHWEST OREGON

The Oregon Department of Forestry has officially declared that fire season will go into effect at 1 a.m. on Thursday, June 29 in Northwest Oregon. This area includes private, state, county and BLM forest lands protected by the Oregon Department of Forestry in Washington, Multnomah, Tillamook, Yamhill, Columbia and Clatsop counties.

According to Jeff Peck, Protection Unit Forester at Forest Grove, woods workers are required to have fire prevention and fire fighting equipment at their operation site and provide a watchman on each operation after equipment is shut down. Fire season rules also prohibit smoking while in or traveling through any "operation area", and prohibit the use of fuse and caps for blasting on forest land. In addition, open burning has been banned in most counties. These bans on open burning are implemented in cooperation with local fire defense boards and will remain in effect until significant rains begin in the fall.

Peck explains that closed fire season is declared each year based on weather conditions and fire danger. As forest vegetation dries due to warmer temperatures and less rain, fire danger increases. Extra precautions need to be taken by forest users and forest workers to prevent fires from starting.

Forest users may obtain information about state forest lands in our area and on public fire restrictions by calling the Forest Grove District public information recording at (503)359*7401. Information on industrial fire restrictions may be obtained by calling the industrial information recording at (503)359-7400. Both recordings are available 24*hours a day. For other information call the Oregon Department of Forestry at (503)357*2191, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Just carry a gallon of water or a minimum of 2lb fire ext and a shovel with a minimum handle of 26"and you'll be fine.I hear they will be writing tickets this year for infractions.FYI.