• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

V8 swap

JPTHING

So I was driving my YJ home today, and half way home it started acting like It had a choke, and it was stuck closed. So I am sick of dealing with the 2.5l. I have a 1989 5.0 EFI engine, with most everything. My question is, what is the minimum that I have to hook up to get it running with the EFI, I have the ECM, most of the wiring harness, and pretty much everything on the motor that is bolted to it when it is running. My other question is, are there any things I should look out for when doing this swap? Also some suggestions for radiator, clutch setup, headers or will the exhaust manifolds work?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

JPTHING said:
So I was driving my YJ home today, and half way home it started acting like It had a choke, and it was stuck closed. So I am sick of dealing with the 2.5l. I have a 1989 5.0 EFI engine, with most everything. My question is, what is the minimum that I have to hook up to get it running with the EFI, I have the ECM, most of the wiring harness, and pretty much everything on the motor that is bolted to it when it is running. My other question is, are there any things I should look out for when doing this swap? Also some suggestions for radiator, clutch setup, headers or will the exhaust manifolds work?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The hardest I found when I did my 1988 yj to an 350tbiwith 700r4was the time to rewire to GM the good thing is the year you got used mostly GM parts and connector.If your 2.5 is fuel injected the fuel pump and fuel sender will work OK. The best way to do this conversionis have both GM and Jeep wiring Diagrams with you cause you will be spliceing the two systems together. (different color wires) For the Radiator Call Radiator.com They have good price for the converson. Best I found. Keep the factory exhaust manifolds. Motor cradle and mounts Buy the Advance adapter Works great.

jeeptech 1 said:
The hardest I found when I did my 1988 yj to an 350tbiwith 700r4was the time to rewire to GM the good thing is the year you got used mostly GM parts and connector.If your 2.5 is fuel injected the fuel pump and fuel sender will work OK. The best way to do this conversionis have both GM and Jeep wiring Diagrams with you cause you will be spliceing the two systems together. (different color wires) For the Radiator Call Radiator.com They have good price for the converson. Best I found. Keep the factory exhaust manifolds. Motor cradle and mounts Buy the Advance adapter Works great.

I guess I should have been more clear, it is a Ford 5.0.

I got all the info you'll need. I put a '89 5.0L in my YJ a while back.

You will need to upgrade the tranny...the stock POS will not hold up to the V8.

You might want to think about axles too...

You'll need both O2 sensors along with the MAF, that should be all that's external/detached from the motor.

I don't know about the 2.5L radiator but the 4.0L stock radiator with the right electric fan will cool it without issues.

Clutch...I'd run a Centerforce

Headers...I'm running equal length ceramic BBK headers but the're overkill. Check out the standard BBK's. You'll have to re-work some of the exhuast to get it to line up with the existing single or just put dual on it.

Jobless said:
I got all the info you'll need. I put a '89 5.0L in my YJ a while back.

You will need to upgrade the tranny...the stock POS will not hold up to the V8.

You might want to think about axles too...

You'll need both O2 sensors along with the MAF, that should be all that's external/detached from the motor.

I don't know about the 2.5L radiator but the 4.0L stock radiator with the right electric fan will cool it without issues.

Clutch...I'd run a Centerforce

Headers...I'm running equal length ceramic BBK headers but the're overkill. Check out the standard BBK's. You'll have to re-work some of the exhuast to get it to line up with the existing single or just put dual on it.

Actually I have already done the axles. I am using a NP435, with NP205. I will get a 4.0l radiator. I am really wondering if there are any issues, with clearance, how far forward did you set the engine? Do you have a wiring diagram for the ECM, and what did you not hook up, cause I assume that the ECM had sensors for the tranny. Will this effect the way the engine runs? Is there a way splice the factory wiring, into the Ford engine wiring harness? Is the 2.5l fuel pump strong enough to pump enough fuel for the bigger engine? I know it is alot of questions, but I figure you have already hammered them out.

I was just thinking that mine might be a 1988 5.0l, and I don't think it had a MAF. That is what some mustang guys said, when I was looking for a replacement wiring harness, and ECM.

JPTHING said:
Actually I have already done the axles. I am using a NP435, with NP205. I will get a 4.0l radiator. I am really wondering if there are any issues, with clearance, how far forward did you set the engine? Do you have a wiring diagram for the ECM, and what did you not hook up, cause I assume that the ECM had sensors for the tranny. Will this effect the way the engine runs? Is there a way splice the factory wiring, into the Ford engine wiring harness? Is the 2.5l fuel pump strong enough to pump enough fuel for the bigger engine? I know it is alot of questions, but I figure you have already hammered them out.

If you have to buy a radiator then just get an aluminum one that fits.

I set my engine as far forward as possible. When I installed it I was concerned with the rear d-shaft length so I moved it forward which is opposite of what you would typically want to do.

I have some diagrams for the '89 5.0L HO (that's with MAF) the non-HO motor will be a little different. I think Big_Mark over on the SNORT board has that setup.

You can definately splice the two harnesses together but in order to get the factory Jeep gauges to work you will have to pull the Jeep sensors from the 2.5L and adpat them to the Ford motor.

Sensors for the Tranny? If it did have them I remove them all.

Fuel pump...I think you need about 40psi for the Ford motors and I have no idea what the 2.5L pump is rated at.

Yeah, summit and Jegs are the 2 big places to get the MAF conversion... the sweet thing about doing a 5.0 swap is that there is a TON of aftermarket support for swapping the MAF engine in... wiring diagrams, fuel system setups, and lots of writeups.

I am currently swapping a 91 MAF 5.0 into my 68 Cougar.I am going to be running the BBK shorty headers, BBK fuel pump kit, modifying the factory wiring harness, Ford Racing Underdrive Pulleys, and removing ALL of the EGR stuff.

I bought a Ford Racing Flywheel and a Ford Racing King Cobra clutch kit from Jegs.