• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

XJ rear springs in a CJ/YJ SOA

CrustyJeep

Anybody around here running XJ leaves on the rear of a CJ or YJ, SOA? How's it work? I'd like to check it out up close and personal :D

possibly mj rear springs because they are spring under but i dont think xj will work, they dont have any lift anyways, you would be better off with stock yj springs or re 1inch

redyj said:
possibly mj rear springs because they are spring under but i dont think xj will work, they dont have any lift anyways, you would be better off with stock yj springs or re 1inch
I'm soooo past YJ springs :flipoff:

CrustyJeep said:
:haha:

YJ springs are too soft for a 4000 Lbs rig, and they don't flex all that well; too short and not enough free arch.

xj spings couldnt be much more frimer than yj, nor do they have more arch, and probally wont flex any better:D

yjkrawlin said:
Yup I Got Xj Springs On The Rear Of My Yj, With A Bluetorch Fab
Bumper.

pics, anyother info. This is somthing that i was thinking about as well to gain some extra length. How do they hold up? You using stock leafs or did you add some extra springs?

Bobbo3234 said:
pics, anyother info. This is somthing that i was thinking about as well to gain some extra length. How do they hold up? You using stock leafs or did you add some extra springs?
dont have digi pics, i got no camera.
i used the stock inboard mount, with the bluetorch bumper (it has the hangers welded on the very end of the bumper:cool: ), with stock xj springs from a 4 door, (the 2 door springs are more flat) with an extra main leaf cut from a j-10(thay are longer) rear packs, like a half ass military wrap.
it moves your rear axle back 6.5", my gas tank now resides in the very back of my tub, and is in process of getting boxed in
with the extra leaf, with the jeep on the ground, the springs sit almost flat, they might have about 1/2" of arch..
still have to make a traction bar for spring wrap, but havent yet, cause now im focusing on the front axle.
when i first got the rear on the ground, i jacked one side of the jeep up (with a 60" hilift) and topped the jack, with all wheels still planted firmly.
the only problem that i see that i may have with this set up is breaking the main leaf, after awile, but ive got spares

also you will have to do some major cutting to the rear corners to fit your stretch, im gonna "comp cut" mine. ive only have seen one yj that hasnt comp cut, but trimmed out the corners.
he is on the pirate bbs under geberhard(i think)

redyj said:
xj spings couldnt be much more frimer than yj, nor do they have more arch, and probally wont flex any better:D

they arnt any more firm, but with an added main leaf, and because of the legth, and free arch, (most about 2" more than yjs) they do flex ALOT better

yjkrawlin said:
they arnt any more firm, but with an added main leaf, and because of the legth, and free arch, (most about 2" more than yjs) they do flex ALOT better

yeah get some pics, sounds interesting