• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ 4.0 OIL PRESSURE/TIMING CHAIN QUESTION

rpf500

Pulled pan tonight for oil leak. What psi you 6 cyl guys have at idle? Mine goes as low as 10 but runs 40. 100,??? miles. Should I throw a new oil pump while pan is off or is this regular psi for used 4.0? oh, mechanical oil pressure gauge.

2nd question.....noticed while pan was down, the timing chain was pretty loose. Never messed with jeep timing so no clue if that is normal. Thoughts?

Thing runs great, no noises, doesnt burn oil etc. Should I just run it or address these both?

I have never had one to hold good oil pressure after it's at operating temp. The last one I had sounds about like your talking about around 10 idle and thirty or so riding trails. I changed oil pump, rod and mains, it didn't help much complete waist of time and money on mine. I believe most of the oil pressure is lost through cam bearings wore. The motor in my DD has about 50k on it and It holds about 60 driving down the road

Thanks fellas. Saved my $80 on an oil pump. Worst case it blows up. Atleast when it's sitting in barn with a blown motor, it's easy to convince the wife it needs an LS swap done!!!