• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

895hp 440 SBC

d_daffron

I hope this thread doesnt turn into a **** show right off the bat, but I am genuinely interested in this and I think a few other guys on here are too. Plus the general consensus is we need more tech to keep HL on the interwebz anyway.

How does one get to 895hp in a N/A 440" SBC and how does that motor have any bottom end grunt at all? No doubt the Warfare buggy has the horsepowers and doesnt appear to be lacking bottom end so how is it done?

What kinda RPM does one have to turn to get this kinda power out of 440"

I saw 18* heads, but are we talking brodix 18* heads or are we talking SB2.2 stuff.

How about cam, kinda goes with the RPM question but I assume solid roller, big lift numbers, and high spring pressures.

I thought it was one of those 3/7 cams or whatever they're called.

Jokes aside, I'd really like to hear some solid stuff on this. Getting 8-something out of 4-something with no power adder is amazing to me!

I actually built a 441 SBC back in 2011. It started as a Dart block with widened oil pan rails to clear the stroked crank. Raised camshaft center. We used a 4.125 stroke crank with 4.125 bore. Of course we had to use custom built pistons from JE. Used 12.5 degree Brodix heads with offset rockers/lifters to clear the massive intake runners on the heads. A shaft mounted CompCams rocker assembly, custom push rods. Fed it with a port matched Brodix intake with 4500 base and a 1100 cfm Dominator. It was/is in a camaro built for drag racing. They wanted a naturally aspirated small block to run 6.0 class. The camshaft is a full roller 4/7 swap custom grind from CompCams, I can't remember the specs off hand. This thing made big power down low due to the stroke on the crank and the 6.125 rods used. I have some pictures somewhere, if I can find em i'll post em. We tuned it on a chassis dyno and i think we got 578 rwhp spinning, if I remember correctly. The hp at the crank I am not sure of but I'd bet money it wasn't 800. All that being said, the cost in this build was around 17k, I didn't charge any labor, that was all parts and machine work.

redneckengineered said:
No reliable info will be posted because it is a super secret squirrel decoder ring racer ****. Wouldn't want to give away any trade secrets in the hotly contested rock bouncer circuit.

Didn't Outlaw switch to a turbo Subaru motor? What's that you think? 450? 550hp?

redneckengineered said:
I would think a legit 895 hp NA 440 (if it could even be done) would be every bit of a $25k motor.
Easy. And if you start with a 440 then bore it and stroke it do you still call it a 440?

Alot of people dont know what real horsepower is is the biggest problem. I quit telling people my motor makes under 400 horses cause i get called a liar. :****:

BUG-E J said:
Easy. And if you start with a 440 then bore it and stroke it do you still call it a 440?

Alot of people dont know what real horsepower is is the biggest problem. I quit telling people my motor makes under 400 horses cause i get called a liar. :****:

You can build a 1000hp 6.0L

Stock LQ4 with cam and tune + 600 shot of nitrous.

Shhhhh don't tell anyone.

tonybolton said:
Didn't Outlaw switch to a turbo Subaru motor? What's that you think? 450? 550hp?

He has 2 separate buggys, Outlaw 2 is a Subaru turbo on nitrous and The outlaw is a sbc, supercharged. Mark Settles is running a Subaru turbo, nitrous with about 30 lbs of boost. He's at 600 hp

BUG-E J said:

this is so true.

so many people are just adding up numbers from the internet and calling it good. Sumbitch has a tornado intake and some bolt on headers...that's +50-75hp right there!

There are definitely some high horsepower motors out there on the trails, but more often than not real HP numbers are a lot lower than most will care to admit

It's just hard for me to believe what 500+hp in an offroad rig feels like.

The most powerful thing I've ever ridden in was an 800hp Supra and I was scared like a kindergartener going to school for the first time. The 500hp Cobra's and AWD stuff I've ridden in seem to be the sweet spot for "I THINK I could control this / actually use the HP". The Supra was burying the speed-o from 100 to 180 like you were free-revving it in your driveway.

And all this was on straight stretches of road.....I'd probably pass out staring at a bouncer hill with that much HP on tap. Especially a blower car.

BUG-E J said:

So I'm curious....my rig. What do YOU think it makes? 96-99 5.7 GM V8 with headers. All stock / stock ECU. What you think it makes TO THE WHEEL through a TF727/Atlas/1tons/43's?

tonybolton said:
So I'm curious....my rig. What do YOU think it makes? 96-99 5.7 GM V8 with headers. All stock / stock ECU. What you think it makes TO THE WHEEL through a TF727/Atlas/1tons/43's?

175hp if you're lucky? Not being a **** but 350hp stock divided by two is probably gonna get you close.

edit: I really prefer to talk crank HP numbers when it comes to 4x4s. Just so many HP sucking variables in our drivetrains.

I'm not butthurt.....to me, THAT feels plenty for what I do. There have only been a handful of times in the 3? 4? years of having this that I wished I had some way to get more SNAP on the throttle hit. But I think that's more like torque converter or transbrake thing.

Ultimately though, I've made everything I've wanted to(rail trail / slant hill on Cadillac) and a few I thought I had no business on(Atomic Ridge and Jungle Wall)

FWIW, Dad's ol 440ci Cuda(really a 499) only makes 357 to the wheel through the auto. I'm sure some would think it's a piece **** presented those numbers but to me it feels plenty fast. I'd like maybe a 100 more but it sounds good, starts, runs cool and keeps me less freaked out when mashing the gas. :)