• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

895hp 440 SBC

My uncle buddy had a 327 with camel hump heads and 3/4 race cam in a Nova, and he would tape a 100 bill to the dash, and if you could reach up to get it, you could have it! :flipoff1:

Mine is not a small block but I have real numbers for you.

My specs are: 496"BBC
4.25 stroke, 4.320 bore 6.385 Rods
Lunati 4340 Forged Crank, H Beam Rods
14:1 JE Pistons
755/305@50 Comp Custom Grind Solid roller cam
Triple Comp Valve springs #300 pounds of seat pressure
Merlin "Grumpy Jenkins" Heads 345CC ported and polished
2.30/1.90 Back Cut swirl polished valves.
Comp Chromo Roller Rockers
.4375 Pushrods
Howards Solid Roller Lifters
Edelbrock Victor intake
Holley HP EFI.
72lb Injectors
Accufab Throttle Body 2,000 something CFM
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump
-10AN fuel lines

No Secrets to hide here. If I left something out ask and I will tell it.

Took it to Lane Culver for tuning. At 6,200 RPM it put down 390hp and 375 ft lbs at the tire. This was making pulls in High Range in the case and 2nd gear in a 400 turbo. I had some electrical issues causing the Ignition wave to fad out at 6200. I am happy with these numbers. I have never pointed mine up a hill and said, man I wish I had more power. Though I feel there is more in it, I have since fixed the electrical issues just haven't went back to the dyno. It runs good and makes plenty of power so I'm happy.

So if you do the 50% loss through the drivetrain I am 780hp at the crank? I could add nitrous and have ran it before, ran a 225 shot so that put me at 1005 at the crank. You couldn't really tell the difference except for the hole shot. I don't run a huge converter just a Hughes 3500 off the shelf from Summit. That hurts the low end a little but not enough to hurt on a climb.

Getting these numbers that people are claiming being N/A, I don't believe it. Been around long enough, like commented earlier " you can feel it in your chest".

Not many bouncers are turning over 6,000 on any hill in any race the entire time. Bikini Bottoms at the SRRS Finals was the hardest I have ran my engine in a long time and it felt great put it in 2nd and left it from the start gate, again that was for 4 hills and not the entire hill.

What gets at me is someone will here a buggy ripping 8,000 and say man he is making some power, well just look at his tires.

Them bacons bring the woopow. Everytine im around them i think about going to a big block :****:

tbacon38 said:
Mine is not a small block but I have real numbers for you.

My specs are: 496"BBC
4.25 stroke, 4.320 bore 6.385 Rods
Lunati 4340 Forged Crank, H Beam Rods
14:1 JE Pistons
755/305@50 Comp Custom Grind Solid roller cam
Triple Comp Valve springs #300 pounds of seat pressure
Merlin "Grumpy Jenkins" Heads 345CC ported and polished
2.30/1.90 Back Cut swirl polished valves.
Comp Chromo Roller Rockers
.4375 Pushrods
Howards Solid Roller Lifters
Edelbrock Victor intake
Holley HP EFI.
72lb Injectors
Accufab Throttle Body 2,000 something CFM
Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump
-10AN fuel lines

No Secrets to hide here. If I left something out ask and I will tell it.

Took it to Lane Culver for tuning. At 6,200 RPM it put down 390hp and 375 ft lbs at the tire. This was making pulls in High Range in the case and 2nd gear in a 400 turbo. I had some electrical issues causing the Ignition wave to fad out at 6200. I am happy with these numbers. I have never pointed mine up a hill and said, man I wish I had more power. Though I feel there is more in it, I have since fixed the electrical issues just haven't went back to the dyno. It runs good and makes plenty of power so I'm happy.

So if you do the 50% loss through the drivetrain I am 780hp at the crank? I could add nitrous and have ran it before, ran a 225 shot so that put me at 1005 at the crank. You couldn't really tell the difference except for the hole shot. I don't run a huge converter just a Hughes 3500 off the shelf from Summit. That hurts the low end a little but not enough to hurt on a climb.

Getting these numbers that people are claiming being N/A, I don't believe it. Been around long enough, like commented earlier " you can feel it in your chest".

Not many bouncers are turning over 6,000 on any hill in any race the entire time. Bikini Bottoms at the SRRS Finals was the hardest I have ran my engine in a long time and it felt great put it in 2nd and left it from the start gate, again that was for 4 hills and not the entire hill.

What gets at me is someone will here a buggy ripping 8,000 and say man he is making some power, well just look at his tires.

Big block power. I will vouch for this motor. Both Tim and his brother Bubba have big blocks making big legitimate HP numbers. Not "watch my youtube" videos HP. Thanks for the real world specs/info. It's not just about calling people out on HP claims, I really enjoy the tech behind knowing what setups are producing what so I like to know detailed specs and not just "cam n tune" :dblthumb:

So your telling me swapping a cam and porting heads isnt enough. You need bigger injectors and a tune? :gtfo:

I'm a numbers guy...so while at Windrock yesterday I came to the conclusion that my engine makes as much as one cylinder from TC's new motor. LMAO.

redneckengineered said:
I think the Bacon's have forgotten more about building motors than I know. I've seen buggies with more claimed HP dog out on hills and dudes having to downshift but the Bacon buggies just keep on pulling.

And it's amazing to hear them spin like a small block up and down. THEY GOT IT RIGHT... :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

bbone said:
Tim that's GREAT info. I thought my 496 has some good parts but yours looks sweeeet!

Its just what I built with what I could afford. My engine builder PeeWee at Riverside Machine has been begging me to build something bigger with an aftermarket block. I just cant afford it, mine has had a few come aparts but mostly self inflicted.

Thanks, thats the kinda info I was looking for. Actual real world numbers, now we can look at a you tube video and see that +/- 750hp when setup right will dominate a race hill.

On the cam specs are you saying youre running 305* duration at .050? Thats alot more cam than I would have guessed

tonybolton said:
I'm a numbers guy...so while at Windrock yesterday I came to the conclusion that my engine makes as much as one cylinder from TC's new motor. LMAO.

If you think that 1400hp claim is any more than fodder for internet discussion boards and youtube hits I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you :****:

Re: Re: 895hp 440 SBC

redneckengineered said:
If you think that 1400hp claim is any more than fodder for internet discussion boards and youtube hits I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you :****:
Interested. Please pm with pics, acreage, and bottom dollar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a stock 4.0 in my buggy. I was thinking it makes about 100hp. We are always running with v8s and we are able to make it up the same obstacles as they do. Some times easier, some times we really have to work at it.
But if you listen to Tony B. I make 400+HP. :dunno:

So is 50% loss through the drivetrain the norm for a buggy with a TH400, Atlas, 1 ton axles, and 43s? I have heard 40% also. I am going to get a chassis dyno tune on the new engine and would like to guestimate engine HP.

Tbacon. From the 496" motors I've been around, most of the time will run 725-800 horse, so you are probably on spot with what you are guessing crank power is.

Elliott said:
Tbacon. From the 496" motors I've been around, most of the time will run 725-800 horse, so you are probably on spot with what you are guessing crank power is.

And what kind of temperature are you running at and how high does it go when your full on? Are you running a cast block Tim or a Dart block with larger water jackets?

ADMINISTRATOR

496 is a good combo, it's a .60 over 454 with a 4.125 stroke crankshaft, Josh Deans dad had one with a B&M 177 blower with one carb, always ran pump gas, and it would run 5.90's in a small tire corvette.