• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

895hp 440 SBC

Re: Re: 895hp 440 SBC

zukimaster said:
496 is a good combo, it's a .60 over 454 with a 4.125 stroke crankshaft, Josh Deans dad had one with a B&M 177 blower with one carb, always ran pump gas, and it would run 5.90's in a small tire corvette.

He started off with a 454 bbc that came out of a burnt motorhome and made it a 496. R&R Speedshop in Huntsville helped him blueprint it. Blower brand was actually a Weiand, and after he changed up the (underdrive?) pulley on it, it would run 5.60's. He would dial in around 5.90's during bracket racing and sandbag at the end. Pisses me off I never made time to go drive it. He tried and tried to get me to, but I always worked on Thurs and Fri nights, and was out raising hell with my buddies on Saturday nights Lol. I drove the full body 71 Camaro he had that same powertrain in before when I was 13 yrs old and ran 6.60's, don't think it had the blower on it then though. It was a strong motor, didn't have to work on it a whole lot either, and he ran the **** out of it for years. Ole guy that bought it is still running it today. He never had it dyno'd to my knowledge and I'd imagine it's the story stretching number type thing mentioned here, but he would swear it was pushing 900+ hp in it's final configuration.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

CHASMAN9 said:
And what kind of temperature are you running at and how high does it go when your full on? Are you running a cast block Tim or a Dart block with larger water jackets?

ADMINISTRATOR

Marine Cast block that is 4 bolt main on all 5 Main caps (RARE). Merlin Aluminum heads, on average it stays pretty warm.

I don't have a huge radiator and I think it would run a lot cooler if I did. The engine usually settles around the 200-210 range at the filler neck on the intake.

At Bikini Bottoms it never got over 190 on any of the hills 15-30 sec runs.

Trail Riding it will stay around the 210 mark. September of last year we went to Rush on a trail ride, I drove back to 3 Pole which is a haul in my book, never got over 210.

My brother has a 540 with a Dart block and he hardly sees over 190-200 mark.

zukimaster said:
496 is a good combo, it's a .60 over 454 with a 4.125 stroke crankshaft, Josh Deans dad had one with a B&M 177 blower with one carb, always ran pump gas, and it would run 5.90's in a small tire corvette.

I like it for a budget build. Makes tons of torque and good HP. It will also spin up as fast as you want due to the fairly short stroke.

Actually its a 4.25 stroke, 4.310 bore. Mine is 4.25 stroke with a 4.320 bore making it a 498 but I just call it a 496.