• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

895hp 440 SBC

tonybolton said:
So I'm curious....my rig. What do YOU think it makes? 96-99 5.7 GM V8 with headers. All stock / stock ECU. What you think it makes TO THE WHEEL through a TF727/Atlas/1tons/43's?

probably 100-110 hp to the ground.

tonybolton said:
I'm not butthurt.....to me, THAT feels plenty for what I do. There have only been a handful of times in the 3? 4? years of having this that I wished I had some way to get more SNAP on the throttle hit. But I think that's more like torque converter or transbrake thing.

Ultimately though, I've made everything I've wanted to(rail trail / slant hill on Cadillac) and a few I thought I had no business on(Atomic Ridge and Jungle Wall)

I didn't think you would take it that way. My buddy has a bone stock LQ4, not even cam swapped so probably 350hp. If he told people it had 550hp you would believe it by the way it gets down. He is a hell of a driver, has bigger balls than me, and has climbed the most difficult trails the SE has to offer. Including some "bounty" hills that little to none of the bouncers have climbed. All his money is in his drivetrain so he can hold it on the floor and focus on driving. But these were just trail rides with no cameras present and plenty of cold beer. He just does it because he loves it.

Off topic (of course) but, My buddy has a YJ juggy on rocks with a 4.2 that I guarantee you makes 40hp or less to the tires and that F'er has tons of fun and never breaks anything :****:

Re: Re: 895hp 440 SBC

muddinmetal said:
Off topic (of course) but, My buddy has a YJ juggy on rocks with a 4.2 that I guarantee you makes 40hp or less to the tires and that F'er has tons of fun and never breaks anything :****:
I wouldn't mind having a rig like that or Wheeling with someone that does!

d_daffron said:
I hope this thread doesnt turn into a **** show right off the bat, but I am genuinely interested in this and I think a few other guys on here are too. Plus the general consensus is we need more tech to keep HL on the interwebz anyway.

How does one get to 895hp in a N/A 440" SBC and how does that motor have any bottom end grunt at all? No doubt the Warfare buggy has the horsepowers and doesnt appear to be lacking bottom end so how is it done?

What kinda RPM does one have to turn to get this kinda power out of 440"

I saw 18* heads, but are we talking brodix 18* heads or are we talking SB2.2 stuff.

How about cam, kinda goes with the RPM question but I assume solid roller, big lift numbers, and high spring pressures.

I own the Rockwell buggy with Jordan's tanners old 434. When it was tuned by lane culver it made 345 to the wheels through 203/205/Rockwell's/43, supposed to be on a "safe tune" running on 110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not dads said:
I own the Rockwell buggy with Jordan's tanners old 434. When it was tuned by lane culver it made 345 to the wheels through 203/205/Rockwell's/43, supposed to be on a "safe tune" running on 110

I bet the sumbitch is rowdy too :dblthumb:

redneckengineered said:
I didn't think you would take it that way. My buddy has a bone stock LQ4, not even cam swapped so probably 350hp. If he told people it had 550hp you would believe it by the way it gets down. He is a hell of a driver, has bigger balls than me, and has climbed the most difficult trails the SE has to offer. Including some "bounty" hills that little to none of the bouncers have climbed. All his money is in his drivetrain so he can hold it on the floor and focus on driving. But these were just trail rides with no cameras present and plenty of cold beer. He just does it because he loves it.

Yep he's got the skills no doubt. And that little 8 inch high stall converter he runs doesn't rob much power either.

Not dads said:

See this is what I was thinking, that 345 figure may be underwhelming to some people that dont know any better, but Peak HP numbers can tell lies. I imagine the 434 you got is a hell of alot more fun, capable, driveable, etc than a 900hp small block that makes peak numbers at 6,000+ rpm.

If I'm wrong about this I am ready to learn some new tricks.

Yeah anything over 500hp is a waste, but who doesnt want more power as long as there are no negative tradeoffs.

tonybolton said:
This is more what I was thinking.....my motor isn't LS based. Old school Vortec stuff.
Thats the motor i had before the one i have now. That fuel injection only makes 280. No more

redneckengineered said:
This is what i shot for. I would rather beat the hell out of 300 horses than brake **** wvery hill

I pulled my L 72 427 engine out on my 69 camero , built to factory specs, 425 hp. Ran it in my buggy for a while. Had a 427 67 bracket car that ran. 6.0 in an 1/8 mile. Buddy of mine built a 489 BBC with all the MODERN parts, Wisco, eagle, Brodex, you know. 595 hp, 625 tq. Never, never, never felt that kind of power. Had rock wells and a reverse manual 350 turbo, you could pull up to a rock and in any gear, punch it, BAM!! Point is 600 , 600, off road is a lot of power.

I'm probably the worst in here about calling out bs on power numbers, but a 900 horse small block that is n/a is like finding a unicorn. Most people have no idea what that kind of power is like, it's on a whole different level, you feel that power in your chest if your standing around it when it's gassed on. I will not believe those numbers without seeing paper on it, hell I would still be sceptical then. And when asked about your claims please never say "go watch my videos". Like that is a verified dyno!!

Typical nascar engines are around 850 ish hp, at only 358 cubic inches, but that's at 8500-9000 rpm's, and lots of very expensive parts!

Elliott said:
I'm probably the worst in here about calling out bs on power numbers, but a 900 horse small block that is n/a is like finding a unicorn. Most people have no idea what that kind of power is like, it's on a whole different level, you feel that power in your chest if your standing around it when it's gassed on. I will not believe those numbers without seeing paper on it, hell I would still be sceptical then. And when asked about your claims please never say "go watch my videos". Like that is a verified dyno!!

I saw that comment and :rolf:

Only 23,950 and you can have a unicorn of your own.
0caf211ded658f9b0aa954a50673a800.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk