• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

14 bolt front build thread and tech help

Re: Re:

TBItoy said:
Just call him. He's still in business, and he never used this forum as a means to promote his business in a positive manner anyway.
My thoughts as well, seems he's doing fine without 10 million vendor ads. Lol

bjeep said:
Well I tried to get one done by him. Never would answer the phone or return calls.
With his dickish responses here. I am glad I did mine myself. :flipper:
Plus I am not into making people take my money.
Sometimes doing it yourself is the best option. I'm not really into Popeye forearms though :wtflol:

JohnG said:
Traveler asked to be deleted form the forum and I granted his request.

JohnG
Admin.

:rolf: I have this vision of him and Batmobile sitting around drinking beer patting themselves on the back talking about how awesome they are while one upping each other

FlatlandFSJ said:
Can we start over and try not to go all pirate on the best tech thread I've seen on the site in 6+ months?

:dblthumb:

redneckengineered said:
:rolf: I have this vision of him and Batmobile sitting around drinking beer patting themselves on the back talking about how awesome they are while one upping each other

:dblthumb:
Lol, that's awesome. Traveler ASKED to be deleted. Definitely took matters into his own hands. But Will got banned, TWICE! Hard to say who one upped who.

Fuk that lame motherfuker.. I do have a serious question.. So for dummies like me, This isn't the cheapest way to build a 14 bolt right? If so my dreams have been shattered I think. Don't know why I have such a hard time following and understanding 14 bolt front end threads ... Dammit.

kushKrawlin said:
Fuk that lame motherfuker.. I do have a serious question.. So for dummies like me, This isn't the cheapest way to build a 14 bolt right? If so my dreams have been shattered I think. Don't know why I have such a hard time following and understanding 14 bolt front end threads ... Dammit.

No, it could be done for 1/3 of this, especially if you reused the shafts you already have

kushKrawlin said:

No, my goal of this thread is to document me trying to build one of the strongest junkyard 14 bolt fronts possible, using top quality, readily available off the shelf parts from vendors. Not cutting corners but trying to save cash where I can. The tech should mostly apply to any 14 front build however.

That being said about the off the shelf options, I believe Branik sells unit bearings already drilled for 8 on 6.5. Kinda spendy though.

Beerj said:
That being said about the off the shelf options, I believe Branik sells unit bearings already drilled for 8 on 6.5. Kinda spendy though.

I will most likely have them redrilled locally, I use Hudlow Axle since they're right down the road from me and I've known Steve forever. Great guy.

Since we're on the topic, what is the part number for the 05+ Superduty unit bearings? Is there are particular brand to get...Timken?

Re: Re: 14 bolt front build thread and tech help

Beerj said:
Patooyee sells a drill guide plate to redrill your own unit bearings to 8x6.5.

Fords are hub centric and use a large pilot diameter at the wms to center the brake rotor and wheel (in the stock configuration)

I've seen on certain wheels where this pilot has to be machined down smaller (or wheel bored out larger) to accommodate. I don't think it's real problem with most aftermarket wheels nowadays, but when running OEM H2 17s was a popular budget option it was very common.

redneckengineered said:
I will most likely have them redrilled locally, I use Hudlow Axle since they're right down the road from me and I've known Steve forever. Great guy.

Since we're on the topic, what is the part number for the 05+ Superduty unit bearings? Is there are particular brand to get...Timken?
I suppose it's the same difference really. Maybe not off the shelf since someone is still modifying them. I have no idea on the part number but I would say Timken is probably a safe bet.
TBItoy said:
Patooyee sells a drill guide plate to redrill your own unit bearings to 8x6.5.

Fords are hub centric and use a large pilot diameter at the wms to center the brake rotor and wheel (in the stock configuration)

I've seen on certain wheels where this pilot has to be machined down smaller (or wheel bored out larger) to accommodate. I don't think it's real problem with most aftermarket wheels nowadays, but when running OEM H2 17s was a popular budget option it was very common.
I used patooyee's guid on mine. Worked great. My wheels are powder coated and the first couple of times on and off it was pretty tight. Gets better with time though.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

I consider my plate in beta testing phase still since I don't have any reports of rigs that have been run with them yet. I tell all potential customers this before selling them and I sell them at a loss right now in hopes of getting some reports back. I have no doubts at all that they will work well enough for offroad rigs but I still don't feel comfortable taking them out of beta phase until I do get some reports back. They're not on my website as a result. You have to contact me directly. A lot of the results with them depends on technique. Before I got my technique down I did drill one UB hole slightly off. I am keeping that UB as a "7-lug spare." :)

That being said, it sounds like Andrew has a hookup with a highly accurate machine source which is a better option IMO. Most don't have that as an economic option like he does.

Andrew have you developed a plan for brakes yet? So far this is the least explored aspect of using 8x6.5 UB's. I haven't come up with a concrete plan for mine yet either.

patooyee said:
Andrew have you developed a plan for brakes yet? So far this is the least explored aspect of using 8x6.5 UB's. I haven't come up with a concrete plan for mine yet either.

Negative. I'm researching this as we speak. Got an email in to Kevin Yoder to get his opinion. He's been very helpful to me on Pirate via PMs. Nice guy.

I've been running the Detroit axle hubs 2 r 150 vs 395.00 each at autozone and I've been running them on fronts I rebuild with no returns 100k and still going strong.I read up on them alot of ppl hav had same success as I've had. Amazon has them the cheapest

redneckengineered said:
Negative. I'm researching this as we speak. Got an email in to Kevin Yoder to get his opinion. He's been very helpful to me on Pirate via PMs. Nice guy.

patooyee said:

I an more interested in the brake tech also. I suspect there is a difference in the setup that the 2 of you might run based on your rigs, but there might be a light weight stop that works great for everyone.

Easiest is probly stock calipers with redrilled rotors. I suspect there is a way to use racecar stuff though, if you really wanted light.

paradisepwoffrd said:
I an more interested in the brake tech also. I suspect there is a difference in the setup that the 2 of you might run based on your rigs, but there might be a light weight stop that works great for everyone.

Easiest is probly stock calipers with redrilled rotors. I suspect there is a way to use racecar stuff though, if you really wanted light.

Kevin got back to me last night. He's a good guy, spoken with him quite a handful of times over the years. The caps he's referring to are because I asked if there were covers that needed to be used on the outside of the UB since we aren't running drive flanges.

I used Timken Bearings. SP940200. redrilled them to 8x 6.5". Im using my own brake hats and caliper adapters with Jamar 14" rotors and the Jamar Trophy truck calipers. They sponsored me the parts a few years ago, AWESOME BRAKES, but spendy if you had to buy them. RCV gave me the caps for the rear and the front are part of the CV assembly. I have made a couple hub covers and plan on making some more.

I don't think anyone is making kits for any of this stuff yet. If you are not concerned about weight you might want to look at stock rotors and calipers.

I am making more hats for another axle for someone. Let me know exactly what your looking for and I can build it or steer you in the right direction. The Spidertrax stuff is easy to adapt but it is spendy.

Kevin

To add to the brake "tech". Jesse Haines makes brackets to use wilwood calipers on the early SD knuckles (??-'04). I messaged with him about making some for the 05+ knuckles. He seemed to think it wouldn't be a big deal but at that time, it wasn't top priority and if I wasn't in a rush he could get it done. I know using the wilwood calipers would sort of deviate from your "off the shelf" parts theme. But is an option none the less. IMO, the stock calipers look like they would work awesome, as long as you are not trying to cut weight.

Pics for reference:

11008477_10205210726021946_8145356692319108055_n.jpg

11183452_10205210725781940_7741748206406955903_n.jpg