• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

205/203 purpose

its the setup i run on my rig and i have the ord tripple stick. You have multiple gear ranges from both in high to the 203 in high and the 205 in low then you can lock it all in low then you can put it in front or rear wheel drive for front dig also. oh with everything locked in low gear ratio is 4to1

Cons

very heavy and long its old school tech. but hell it works

I had one in my old buggy and I liked the options it gave and the simplicity of it. When I pulled the trans out I was much happier with the atlas because I can take the atlas in and out by myself. My doubler shifted a lot easier than my atlas too.

I had a 203/205 in my last rig. As stated they shift really easy, and it's nice being able to just shift the front case to HI for access roads. The down side is you are dealing with 2 heavy cast iron cases, and depending on room, it can be tricky to get the 203 clocked right to clear everything and still be able to hook a shifter up.

For my new rig I used a 246/205 doubler. Shifting is still just as easy. Low/low is 5.4 : 1. It dropped about 30lbs and is a couple of inches shorter that the 203 setup.

skipnrocks said:
We did the 241 205 and it's nice not only because of weight but because it gives 4 speeds to choose from. Instead of three.
I wanna do this with my 241. I love it's gearing but would like a real low too. How hard was it?

http://www.behemothdrivetrain.com/STRONG_BOX_UNDERDRIVE_KITS.html

Here's what I used. Not much price difference between this and a 203 doubler setup. He got some bad press over on Pirate a while back because he couldn't keep up with the demand and people were having to wait a long time. I think he has out sourced a lot of the machine work now. I did have to wait about 10 days longer than he originally told me, but once I got everything I was very pleased with it all.

skipnrocks said:
We did the 241 205 and it's nice not only because of weight but because it gives 4 speeds to choose from. Instead of three.

Went with the "Box for Rocks" 241 and 205 case, not as long as the 203/205 combo and you get 1:1, 1:1.96, 1:2.7, and 1:5.3 as opposed to 1:1, pretty much 2.0 for the two middle speeds, and 4.0 for low in the 203/205 combo.