• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Perfect duel purpose

Eddyj

So I might be slightly "special". I just started seeing the light at the end of a two year buggy build. (still needs a lot of work) I couldn't help but thinking about the next build. I have two youngin's (working on my southern dialogue) and can't help but think something street legal would be cool, to drive to ball games, ice cream, church... Also to have a backup rig on big weekends.
So my question is what would be your perfect duel purpose rig? I'm not driving to work everyday just 15 mile trip for fun.

So I'm thinking four door YJ. Custom frame, four link with cheap coils, four racing seats, 42 tsl or 44 boggers, and to make it "cool" a crazy ass southern cage work.
My only question is drive train, Ls or 4bt?

For me what makes this a project worth doing is I get to use my old YJ, that I bought in high school,to drive my kids around.

KMCMINN has the ultimate dual sport mobile. He is a ****, but his rig is the flashemifyougotem :flipoff1:

YJ, LS, Tons, Sticky's, Hydro assist, C/O's and links at both ends. Winner, winner chicken dinner.

I'm just getting started on building a XJ for my wife and kids to get around the parks in while I'm off doing something stupid in the buggy. My wife likes the cherokee's and I found one with a great interior and cold A/C. I'm throwing the HP60 that I was trying to sell on here under it along with a 14 bolt and good cage for her to be able to get around most places in parks as she wants. Plan to keep it street legal enough to be able to run into town and go eat whenever we are out on a trip.

I ran a lifted 1969 Ford bronco with full cage, built 302, 18x39 Mickey T's on 15x14 Weld racing wheels and 3 tops. My son was always asking to take him to school in it. Great old days. thumb.gif

Re: Perfect duel purpose

aa3e7dc957450c51c3ccebbdaa2bfc92.jpg

I had the same thoughts. My trail rig is my yj on tons with a tbi 5.7 on 43s. It has a back seat, but the wife isn't as hard core as me and the kids will go sometimes...

My wife wanted a "cool" dual purpose rig. Light trail riding and street able enough to be a nice weather grocery getter and be the coolest mom in the pickup line at the school.
I found her this 72 bronco. I got lucky and found this one with a worked 302, 44/9" axles, np435 trans and a good enough Dana 20 t case (for now). The family cage was installed, but I plan on finishing it out as well as better seats and harnesses all around. Then some light body work to make it look cool for the Mrs.
It's perfect for what we wanna do with it and after I get it done will probably be decently capable as a light trail rig, but still fun to drive around town.

For the record, I'm not really a Ford guy, but these old Broncs are cool as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waggy thumb.gif v8/4seats/room for a BIG cooler,spare parts and the dog. And if you don't cut it up and stick a chevy drive train in it, you can just toss some super duty axles under it and be good.

FlatlandFSJ said:
Waggy thumb.gif v8/4seats/room for a BIG cooler,spare parts and the dog. And if you don't cut it up and stick a chevy drive train in it, you can just toss some super duty axles under it and be good.

Why would you say that?? LOL!!!

Depending on how big you want a straight axled late model suv is nice. I had a couple dd sas s10 blazers. My kids loved them and their friends thought they were cool for riding in something with tires as big as they were.

I do like the ideal of a bronco or blazer (removable top) and the old Broncos are jus oozing cool. The more I thought about it, I really want a "poser" rig. Something that looks much more capable than it is. As opposed to mckimm's sleeper that at a glance looks like a moderate jeep that really kick ass.

Re: Perfect duel purpose

Gregg old Bronco was cool. That was back when I was about 13-14 years old, and Southern Offroad was still a good shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my CJ almost everyday for everything I drive it to town and to ball games go hunting and trapping with it and use it to get firewood, if I sold it I would have to get another rig with a back seat my kids love gong with me in it riding this was yesterday on the trapline

Re:

I'd like to clean up my Tracker some more and do a SAS with a conservative size tire. It's easy to get around in, would be pretty capable and the back seat is actually pretty roomy.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is why I built this, but a couple months after it was done I lost interest and sold it. It was just one more thing for me to maintain. New owner drove it 5 hours back home with no issues though. loller.gif

Re:

That would be a sweet ride and you can find Cherokees pretty cheap. Pretty simple to swap the tons in?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts