• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

90's throw back....Manche build

I can't hold my peace anymore. I have pretty well followed this build from the beginning with extreme speculation as I thought it was "just another build" but I am glued to the screen on how great of a build this has become. Matt, your attention to detail is amazing and truly a work of art. You continue to keep me coming back for more and more and it really pisses me off when I go and look at my junk. molaugh Keep up the excellent work and I will continue to drool over this build. Great job. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

CHASMAN9 said:
I can't hold my peace anymore. I have pretty well followed this build from the beginning with extreme speculation as I thought it was "just another build" but I am glued to the screen on how great of a build this has become. Matt, your attention to detail is amazing and truly a work of art. You continue to keep me coming back for more and more and it really pisses me off when I go and look at my junk. molaugh Keep up the excellent work and I will continue to drool over this build. Great job. :dblthumb:

ADMINISTRATOR
Hey thanks Greg! I really appreciate those words. I'm glad folks are enjoying this, because I enjoy doing it and sharing. I'm getting really excited for next week to finally load up and wheel again...2 years is too long.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Re:

Btw Greg, thanks for continuing to maintain this forum in the footsteps of JohnG. He is missed, but he would be grateful for the dignity with which you are doing this forum.

super clean! End is near...I know thats a good feeling

I thought long and hard about hard lines on my build, but ultimately decided that I would rather have the ease of moving lines for maintenance and adaptability on the run; but ill be damned if it doesnt look clean!

mcutler said:
I'm getting really excited for next week to finally load up and wheel again...2 years is too long.

Be prepared, that jungle wall (that is your avatar pic, right?) looks nothing like it did a few years ago! When will you be getting to Dixie?

whiskeymakin said:
Is there any advantage to running the hard lines?
Copied from my pirate thread

waterhorse;41895649 said:
I'm a little courious about your choice to use hard lines for the steering. Don't get me wrong, they look totally fantastic. I would assume a hard line is less likely to leak compared to a hose. But looking at my hydro-steer and there very few connections that can be completely hard line. (Because of engine or axle movement) So you have to go to hose anyways. (With more joints) Has it been your experience that running less hose outweighs the increase in connections?
much of what is said below.
whitneyj;41895857 said:
There are lots of benefits to using conduit versus hose:

1) longevity
2) heat displacement
3) pegs the bling gauge
4) lighter
5) cleaner routing
6) takes up less space
7) breaks the bling gauge

But I'm curious for the reason he did it :smokin:
definitely my order of reason;
Cleaner routing
Less space
Lighter
Heat displacement
Cheaper if you have the tooling, and you know which fittings you need the first time.

I've used hose in a very similar mount and configuration in the past. It will not make those turns at the column without using short couplers which are a no no for hydro. So you then have more junctions again, with more heat in the hose, less space for other systems, more chafing, more weight. The use of whip lines after a hard line run is a pretty standard affair in equipment hydraulics. I have one spare ram hose that will serve as an axle vent for space saving in the box. Then the other two whip lines between the reservoir/ cooler, cooler/ orbital, are less than 12" of hose with reusable fittings, again saving space- but technically I could hardline to there too, cause every steering accessory is chassis mounted; only flexing between axle and engine.
- this time I'm using it on 3 fluid carriers; fuel, steering, trans; previously only did steering.

Bling is a side affect

Tools I used, 37 degree flare

And pic of my hardline routing in previous buggy, never a leak

You can also see how close my engine and manifolds were to the firewall in the past.

95c670100a2a1f843292ce71dd8cad9e.jpg

9f540709efaeacdeda6f6f062419ba84.jpg

844849d3c0464433da0439790c5630ca.jpg

slravenel said:
super clean! End is near...I know thats a good feeling

I thought long and hard about hard lines on my build, but ultimately decided that I would rather have the ease of moving lines for maintenance and adaptability on the run; but ill be damned if it doesnt look clean!
For future thought, aside from at the orbital, they're quit movable for service once released from retainer clips, without loosening the joints.

Thanks buddy!

mcutler said:
For future thought, aside from at the orbital, they're quit movable for service once released from retainer clips, without loosening the joints.

Thanks buddy!

as luck would have it...i have had to remove my orbital lines twice now already laughing1

once on my shakedown run on the trails when I had a leak in a fitting and once in the shop when I was re-routing some stuff to a better spot.

Same reasoning behind my brake lines being soft coming out of the masters...for some reason, lining up those fittings with hard lines after a few times always ended up with shitty looking out of place lines. So i just ran soft 10" lines out of the masters and problem solved! But I also wanted to make this buggy as easy to work on as I could in places where I could since its so tight everywhere else that half of the buggy has to come apart to do much work in behind the firewall laughing1

Re: Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

slravenel said:
as luck would have it...i have had to remove my orbital lines twice now already laughing1

once on my shakedown run on the trails when I had a leak in a fitting and once in the shop when I was re-routing some stuff to a better spot.

Same reasoning behind my brake lines being soft coming out of the masters...for some reason, lining up those fittings with hard lines after a few times always ended up with shitty looking out of place lines. So i just ran soft 10" lines out of the masters and problem solved! But I also wanted to make this buggy as easy to work on as I could in places where I could since its so tight everywhere else that half of the buggy has to come apart to do much work in behind the firewall laughing1
I totally understand!

twostep said:
Be prepared, that jungle wall (that is your avatar pic, right?) looks nothing like it did a few years ago! When will you be getting to Dixie?
Yes it was.

I assume it has gotten undercut, and dished at the top. I anticipate I may have some reservations this trip on some obstacles... learning the truck and getting over that first scratch and dent...(but I could go nekked with the skins if I get an itch. )

I'll be leaving home Thursday, after my 11 year old has been at school long enough to be determined present for the day, he is my copilot this trip- he's fearless, but a real pain in the ass sometimes, lol. Probably around lunchtime, then it's 4.25 hours on the road to Sparta. Most of my group gets there on Wednesday. For years we camped in the small alleyway on the right after the bunk house, beside the maintenance shed I think. But seems Adam and the WOD gang (including JohnG the last time I saw him), figured out we had the penthouse parking, and last 2-3 years have beat us there. We've since been to the left of the bunk house up against the wall of the old track. It's a decent spot if they close the loop behind the track, but when they don't, it's dusty as hell.

mcutler said:
But seems Adam and the WOD gang (including JohnG the last time I saw him), figured out we had the penthouse parking,

Yup, that is the case. You'll 3 or 4 days late to get that primo parking these days. The only time I ever met with John G was that year at Dixie... good times hanging out and riding with that bunch.

My crew camps up top at the wedding chapel across from the kids playground. Look for my first gen cummins and green TJ and stop by for a cold one while I drool on this beast.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

twostep said:
Yup, that is the case. You'll 3 or 4 days late to get that primo parking these days. The only time I ever met with John G was that year at Dixie... good times hanging out and riding with that bunch.

My crew camps up top at the wedding chapel across from the kids playground. Look for my first gen cummins and green TJ and stop by for a cold one while I drool on this beast.
Yes, they're all close enough to the park they can setup up previous weekend I'd bet. It's all good... I'm certainly not there for the camping experience.

Absolutely, flag me down anywhere!

She bad!! I'm going hard line on everything also. I bought up a bunch of swageloc compression fittings but now I wish I had of went the same route as you and flared everything. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. Maybe next time. Looks freakin killer man. Hope she is as badass on the trail as she looks.

I been lurking on Hardline for some time, mostly seeing what people are doing and learning. I seen this thread when you 1st started and didn't pay it much attention til now. I just bing read the whole thing and your skill set is amazing. Being a machinist for over 30 yrs makes a person unbelievably OCD so I get everything your doing, although I might not understand why. Watching you cut up the body then build the subframe and then set the body right in place was just the start. I only have about 50 questions on how you pulled off some of the things you built / made, hopefully I'll meet you some day. Very nice job sir, absolutely top notch!!
Thanks for taking time to share it with us

d9marko said:
She bad!! I'm going hard line on everything also. I bought up a bunch of swageloc compression fittings but now I wish I had of went the same route as you and flared everything. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. Maybe next time. Looks freakin killer man. Hope she is as badass on the trail as she looks.
Me too, thanks!
zeke392 said:
I been lurking on Hardline for some time, mostly seeing what people are doing and learning. I seen this thread when you 1st started and didn't pay it much attention til now. I just bing read the whole thing and your skill set is amazing. Being a machinist for over 30 yrs makes a person unbelievably OCD so I get everything your doing, although I might not understand why. Watching you cut up the body then build the subframe and then set the body right in place was just the start. I only have about 50 questions on how you pulled off some of the things you built / made, hopefully I'll meet you some day. Very nice job sir, absolutely top notch!!
Thanks for taking time to share it with us
I enjoy sharing, this is how i learned, build threads through forums. I wish more builders had the time to share. It's nice to hear from others about a build, good or bad.

After this week feel free to ask me anything, lol, I don't mind a bit. I've got four days to button her up, running on 3 hrs of sleep a night, and a sinus infection/ bronchitis.

She will be in Tennessee by sunset Thursday...

Not much photo worthy progress to report. Yet, progress is being made. Lots of wiring took place yesterday, about 11 hours worth. Jason and I slung a tremendous amount of zip ties, solder, shrink wrap, built a license plate bracket, mounted some remote battery lugs, few more zip ties.

Today was purely mechanical. The entire power and drivetrain had been entirely dry fit for fabrication purposes. (I had planned to be much further along by now...) So even if the wiring had been completed last night, couldn't crank for those reasons. So, I've opened and closed/ sealed the rear axle, transfer case, and transmission today. Will get the front axle tonight and bolt the torque converter to the motor. Rear shaft in, rear springs in for good.

(Didn't realize how much this bug I've been fighting had zapped my strength until I put that transfer case back in today... kicked my ass...)

Couple pics of console ready for wiring.

f235fcace27de01e5a9f9e7434100906.jpg
97d6788ba51c4180b3dc374256bd1509.jpg

Matt

The Luke said:
Ohhh what's the big red button do?

Battery Kill switch. Smart and necessary.

I still compliment you Matt on your attention to detail. Heater, wipers, headlights, turn signals, but PLAN B is awesome. Detail to wiring is a lost art and you have brought it back to life in your build. Great job sir.

ADMINISTRATOR