• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

90's throw back....Manche build

Re: Re: 90's throw back....Manche build

CHASMAN9 said:
Battery Kill switch. Smart and necessary.

I still compliment you Matt on your attention to detail. Heater, wipers, headlights, turn signals, but PLAN B is awesome. Detail to wiring is a lost art and you have brought it back to life in your build. Great job sir.

ADMINISTRATOR
Thanks Greg!
slravenel said:
very nice!

I have that same Plan B winch control in mine :****: makes people laugh every time
8)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wish I was able to make Dixie Run so I could see this rig in person! Can't wait to see it on the trails soon though!!
Well, I wish I was too.

Been here banging my head, running in circles, working from back to front- but barely touching the list, always finding more between the high spots of the list. This sinusitis and bronchitis is taking it's toll on me-10 days of antibiotics and steroids can only do so much; 4 hours of sleep a night-1.5 hrs of that coughing my ass off, waking the wife and mattix up....it just won't happen for this trip. I'm exhausted and to be ready I will have to half ass a bunch of stuff that just will not please me- I've worked too hard at a level of detail that I am not willing to compromise for one weekend of wheeling; versus having to go back later to redo...

I have pride in my work, and for that I choose to not junior up my skill level for a mediocre finish on this project.

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for my build, and I intend to keep the level of work to that expectation.

My biggest regret is that my great friends who took time from their own trip prep to come here to get me going...i feel like I wasted your time and I'm sorry. But we will be on the trail soon.

So, Dixie Run... I'll see ya next year.

Thanks,

Matt

mcutler said:
Well, I wish I was too.

Been here banging my head, running in circles, working from back to front- but barely touching the list, always finding more between the high spots of the list. This sinusitis and bronchitis is taking it's toll on me-10 days of antibiotics and steroids can only do so much; 4 hours of sleep a night-1.5 hrs of that coughing my ass off, waking the wife and mattix up....it just won't happen for this trip. I'm exhausted and to be ready I will have to half ass a bunch of stuff that just will not please me- I've worked too hard at a level of detail that I am not willing to compromise for one weekend of wheeling; versus having to go back later to redo...

I have pride in my work, and for that I choose to not junior up my skill level for a mediocre finish on this project.

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for my build, and I intend to keep the level of work to that expectation.

My biggest regret is that my great friends who took time from their own trip prep to come here to get me going...i feel like I wasted your time and I'm sorry. But we will be on the trail soon.

Thanks,

Matt

been there too, and while it sucks now it will all be worth it soon. We are just now knocking on the door of riding season, you'll be out there soon enough.

And if your friends are like mine...they probably enjoyed coming out and turning wrenches on stuff that wasn't their own for once, and don't care one bit that it wont make this specific ride; knowing it will be out there shortly afterwards. Also if they are like mine, they also probably had tons of fun just coming over and drawing little sharpie marker dicks all over places where you wont see them for a long time :wtflol: :gay:

slravenel said:
been there too, and while it sucks now it will all be worth it soon. We are just now knocking on the door of riding season, you'll be out there soon enough.

And if your friends are like mine...they probably enjoyed coming out and turning wrenches on stuff that wasn't their own for once, and don't care one bit that it wont make this specific ride; knowing it will be out there shortly afterwards. Also if they are like mine, they also probably had tons of fun just coming over and drawing little sharpie marker dicks all over places where you wont see them for a long time :wtflol: :gay:
We have the same friends... lmao.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone.

Some progress pics...

Battery at home, remote jumper lugs run from the side posts.

Front axle all sealed, limits hung, brakes, vents, fill point done - ready to party.

Rear is done from fuel cell to bumper- also ready to party.

accdcd160b2c3eb73ffb2d40f4fc0810.jpg

af1aa7e804c5cd34448a99efd80dcf2a.jpg

5bd540bf74ffca831ef0a2d256b8751f.jpg

Also practiced a little uphill tig work...

5e753e28d09b1252a122ff7677318c93.jpg

153876c1103b871b48b815ed7a7293b0.jpg

b2dc7465f7d332506b9a4806ffcacf96.jpg

Matt

This is one of the first things I look at every single morning. Thanks for keeping it updated. I love watching your work progress. I followed every single page of your last build as well as this one. I show all of your updates to my guys at work. I preach "attention to detail, no cutting corners even if it costs the shop money, and it's the little things that matter most to a customer." Pictures are worth a 1000 words and I use yours daily to get my point across. I wish I lived closer to be able to spend a few nights helping you (aka learning from you) in the shop.
Keep up the awesome work

zayne2427 said:
This is one of the first things I look at every single morning. Thanks for keeping it updated. I love watching your work progress. I followed every single page of your last build as well as this one. I show all of your updates to my guys at work. I preach "attention to detail, no cutting corners even if it costs the shop money, and it's the little things that matter most to a customer." Pictures are worth a 1000 words and I use yours daily to get my point across. I wish I lived closer to be able to spend a few nights helping you (aka learning from you) in the shop.
Keep up the awesome work
Thanks you zayne!

mcutler said:
...I've worked too hard at a level of detail that I am not willing to compromise for one weekend of wheeling...

Good decision. You've done too much right to rush it now.

Riding on Monday and Tuesday morning was awesome. I climbed the jungle slab for the first time :smoke:. Rain Tuesday afternoon ruined riding for Wednesday and most of Thursday. Friday and half of Saturday was nice. Saturday at about 5 a buddy and I were about 30 feet from the top of crackhead when it decided to come a flood. Turning around and plinko'ing back down 5 was fun. Still a great Dixie Run as always. Hope to see this there next year!

fabricator1 said:
Maybe I missed it, but how was that tig welding class you talked about awhile ago?
It was a very mixed bag of participants. A handful of people who had been welding of some sort for decades like myself, and as distant as a couple high school kids and their fathers who had never touched a welder of any kind. But the class was intended as a intro to tig. One full day each of steel and aluminum sheet metal, 18 ga steel and .060 aluminum- butt welds, open outside corners, t- joint filets, full penetration without pedal pulsing. There was certainly more concentration on getting good fitment. I learned many helpful tips and procedures, but mostly took notes, due to the inexperience of some classmates who didn't have a welder at home to practice on, only 8 machines on sight. Excellent opportunity and experience!

Michael Furick is a wealth of knowledge, (and he has a bad ass facility where, like myself, he works alone. Right in the back yard of NASCAR with the likes of Petty enterprises and JR Racing and Kooks Headers all right next door. )He is a very resourceful and avid study of metal working and good practices for turning out a near perfect product. Best of all, I made a new acquaintance between him, Tommy [MENTION=4777]Tommy[/MENTION]schopshop, and a couple other awesome instructors who I feel I can call on for further guidance or a direction to send and receive new work. I hope he offers more events in the future to further expand my skills.

twostep said:

Riding on Monday and Tuesday morning was awesome. I climbed the jungle slab for the first time :smoke:. Rain Tuesday afternoon ruined riding for Wednesday and most of Thursday. Friday and half of Saturday was nice. Saturday at about 5 a buddy and I were about 30 feet from the top of crackhead when it decided to come a flood. Turning around and plinko'ing back down 5 was fun. Still a great Dixie Run as always. Hope to see this there next year!
Yea, I agree. Fortunately the big push to make the trip did put a large dent in the list. I'm getting better and ready tu get back to work. Dixie for sure next year. Only missed a handful in the last 15-20 years.

fabricator1 said:
Maybe I missed it, but how was that tig welding class you talked about awhile ago?
It was a very mixed bag of participants. A handful of people who had been welding of some sort for decades like myself, and as distant as a couple high school kids and their fathers who had never touched a welder of any kind. But the class was intended as a intro to tig. One full day each of steel and aluminum sheet metal, 18 ga steel and .060 aluminum- butt welds, open outside corners, t- joint filets, full penetration without pedal pulsing. There was certainly more concentration on getting good fitment. I learned many helpful tips and procedures, but mostly took notes, due to the inexperience of some classmates who didn't have a welder at home to practice on, only 8 machines on sight. Excellent opportunity and experience!

Michael Furick is a wealth of knowledge, (and he has a bad ass facility where, like myself, he works alone. Right in the back yard of NASCAR with the likes of Petty enterprises and JR Racing and Kooks Headers all right next door. )He is a very resourceful and avid study of metal working and good practices for turning out a near perfect product. Best of all, I made a new acquaintance between him, Tommy [MENTION=4777]Tommy[/MENTION]schopshop, and a couple other awesome instructors who I feel I can call on for further guidance or a direction to send and receive new work. I hope he offers more events in the future to further expand my skills.

twostep said:

Yea, I agree. Fortunately the big push to make the trip did put a large dent in the list. I'm getting better and ready tu get back to work. Dixie for sure next year. Only missed a handful in the last 15-20 years.

Made a trip to SRI in Mooresville today. Looking to make a step up in safety for my passengers and myself. With having a closed cab and the engine so closely confined; fire is my biggest fear. So I decided to spend a few extra coin for a fire suppression system with 2 nozzles to do work.

Also, I didn't realize they had a used/consignment warehouse with gobs of NASCAR parts. Plumbing, brakes, carbon fiber, heat shielding, reservoirs, dry sumps, headers, rear ends, drop outs, large and small sway bars and arms of all types of (even the giant hollow 37 spline units) , you name it. If you catch an hour or two to kill, you should check it out.

I also snatched up some big money heat shielding for pennies on the dollar, they have shelves of it...

3f8c7957158d2a755885c0bde5356909.jpg

Matt

Damn those are some sexy socks...

Wiring and plumbing are 99.2% complete.

Plumbing just needs to be dropped from mounts for final welding and leak tested, and also plumb the fire suppression kit, and heater...

Left to do; make led alterations to stock front markers and signals then weatherpack, rear stock bed taillights weatherpack pigtails to new chassis harness, mount dome light, indicator lights in dash for turn, hi beam, and check engine...

Maybe 96.2%....

Damn, I'm running out of room...

All circuits are on go, except for the hazard.... haven't chased down the short yet.

Mechanical is 96.3 % done.
Mount carrier bearing, tighten driveshafts, torque converter bolts, maybe a little heat shielding...

Fabrication is down to interior, harnesses, rear firewall, plate and weld the cab A-pillars, spare driveshaft mount, mount extinguishers, hinge toolbox, install windshield, mod inner fenders for wiring clearances, mod door pins for quick removal...

**** this is getting depressing... not really

Been scuffing and oiling as I go...

6834e0abacca0fc36cb50260ab6420ed.jpg

ea2475f67eba5d3765d16f9a7927ac61.jpg

8abef4216846aba472b351fb1fbb682b.jpg

06b0287487122c5a7ec04dea40fe6bd9.jpg

c8f9b54afc2fe41c598ef4a396938162.jpg

4c20a8d57690991cd54e4560c6c95452.jpg

784182796f2e151d7d95f334d3077b9f.jpg

e3668ec5a64304cd73fd128cf7e1aa80.jpg

213acf4b3d7b7f12f8e6b4809f765a3d.jpg

Matt