• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Absurd Drug Cost

Re:

Insurance company's % of pay out on each type of procedure is based on a rate set by the federal govt. That is why it is such screwed up math. My wife bills for several large offices and she is alwats complaining about how the the feds complicate an easy process. The rates also change pretty often, complicating it more. Basically, the gov't tells the drs what they can charge, then tells the insurance companies what they can pay. Everything the gov't gets involved in gets screwed up.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Olivedrabcj7 said:
Knocked up my wife a couple years back. Went to the doctor of her choice. The finance lady pulled out a stack of papers showing the breakdown of costs and everything. Total price for prenatal and "normal" delivery was right at $20K (billed to your insurance company). I said "I don't have insurance. I want the cash price". She put those papers back in the drawer and pulled out one sheet of paper with a breakdown of costs for "self-pay" patients. $6,500 out of pocket total for normal delivery. 20% discount if its all paid before she gives birth. I wrote a check on the spot for $5200 and change.

Insurance billed for close to $20K for something that I paid $5200 for. The hospitals gouging insurance companies are the reason healthcare is so "expensive" anymore.

Had we had health insurance, you are looking at one year of premiums ($400/mo = $4,800) plus $1,000 deductible plus 20% copay of that $20,000 bill. So having a baby with insurance would have cost me right at $10,000 out of pocket versus the $5200 I paid by not having insurance. Tell me again how ****ed up our system is not?

Pull and pray :rolf: