• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

AW4 noise

Chilkat

I've got a noise coming from my AW4 transmission. The noise has been present since the beginning. The transmission is a new to me unit, but I think it had over 100k on it when I got it for $100.

My drivetrain is a turbo charged 2rz/Aw4/D300. Fluid looks good (atf +4), new filter, big cooler with fan, no leaks and the transmission works flawlessly, but I am always wondering what this noise is.

1st gear only, low range (2.72) the transmission make is whirring or high pitch humming sound sorta like. EEEEEEEEEE, that's right, sounds like the trans is just saying the letter e continuously. Seems to be intermittent and goes away in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear, whines a little louder after the trans has warmed up. The sound doesn't really get worse with acceleration, but I think it actually goes away, or overpowered by all the other noises. The noise isn't super loud, but I sit right next to the trans in my crawler, so I hear every little sweet nothing it whispers. Any idea? Torque converter? :dunno:

Mnie in my buggy made the same noise before reverse went out i replaced mine with 1 from a salvage yard for $150 they are the same as a 87 through 2001 cherokee 4.0

Re:

The later models have different plugs on them however if your not using an CPU to shift it no worries

HMMM.. well I guess if it goes than its another $100-$150 and some time. I run the RAdesigns shifters.

Do you guys know what the stall is on your torque converter?

I,m using a 3.0 v6 Toyota TC which I believe is 1800 RPM, but saw that there is a factory 2200 RPM stall that came with the AW4's any idea what model jeep they came in?

I have a Toyota 2RZ flex plate that the TC will have to bolt to. Anyone know if the TC out of a jeep will bolt to the Toyota Flex plate?