• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cash's Sammy

Jon Piper

Last summer my dad calls me on my way home from work and says he found a samurai he wanted me to stop and look at. He said it was strait and said he was thinking about getting one to ride with me and the family. So I stop and look at this 99% rust free , smooth running 1987 samurai. I told him at the price he was buying it for , if he didn't buy it I would come back and buy it the next day. The next day on my way home he calls again on the way home with his new project.

Typical samurai :

1.3 w/ Weber
Spoa
6.5:1 case
33x13.50 LTB's
Exo cage
8k winch

That night he had the Exo cut off and out driving his new toy !

The Cash Sammy

Now growing up he always had some project he was tinkering with - mustangs , four wheelers motorcycles heck he liked to play as much as I did. I was over at his house one evening helping him on the Sammy and he told me one reason he bought it was to give to my son Cash. Hence the name "Cash Samurai" or what my son calls the bluey sunshine Sammy ...that's a 4 year old for yah ! We discussed several bumper options , gearing options , turbo set ups etc. and he settled on keeping the 33's and going with a Yj Spring swap and a cool front bumper. He bought a steering z bar from Rocky Mountain and a new top ... Put a head gasket and a stock clutch fan back on it. I had asked him to ride a couple times this past winter and he said it was just too cold for him and he hasn't really felt that great lately.

Well, on Jan 12 he passed away. He had a heart attack sitting in his favorite chair watching tv. He didn't answer the phone on my way home from work that day and by the time I made it to his house it was too late. I lost one of my best friends that day. The next few days was rough, I was staying with my mother and trying to stay strong for her, I went outside to move the samurai and I finally broke down. I was devastated. After a few minutes the Sammy seemed comforting , it reminded me of the 2 my father and I had when I first turned 16 and all the fun we had together. I knew then I needed to finish the samurai up for the Lil guy .... And for my dad.

I decided to drive it home (30 minutes away) and have some time to sort out some things I felt like it needed and to get a game plan. The front end is wore out along with the clutch. It needed a u joint and headlights (well the high beams work but the lows don't) We even had a chance to take it riding in our pasture , my son really loved that. With a short list of things I feel it needs to be "drive able" I plan on starting on it soon. This will be a slow process but every second I get to spend with my son working on this unit will be priceless.

Re: The Cash Sammy

75a4a59c21b52a2b59acd78923921092.jpg

67906aba15b1c43774d7092c2d7a7d53.jpg

57abf1ccc8ba0eef9155086ec9b1f43d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss Jon, this Sammy will be priceless!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re:

I can't fathom what you are going through, but I do understand how it feels to be out wheeling with a little one. This rig will help offer some closure and be an outlet for some of the emotions that you don't know how to deal with. Pour your heart into it as he would have. His blood runs through your veins, so in truth, he is still helping you work on it every time you turn a wrench.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Had no ideal what you've been up to. Sounds like you found a way to help deal with a very sad situation. One day when you see your son driving that little Sammy and you think back about you driving yous at 16 it will be a life changing moment. Prayers headed your families way brother.

Thanks guys.

When asked how I was doing I always said I was fine and would be until my mother was "ok" ... She's living with us until her new place is built. That's when things really hit me. I stayed so focused on taking care of her and my family I never took time for myself. I was blessed to have a great relationship with my father, we talked nearly every day. If you still have a mother and or father in your life take the time for a simple "I love you" , that was the last words I spoke to my father.

Your son will really appreciate and cherish this time that you spend with him now. And that is a sweet little project for you two to spend time together on. Like you I appreciate all the time that I have with my parents. I'm very close to both of them and not a day goes by when I don't tell them both that I love them very much. I'm very sorry for your loss bud, let me know if you ever need anything.

Heck yeah Jon...keep it up! Was sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm glad you've decided to hang on to the toys.

Shoot...I just picked myself up a little blue one recently...

IMG_20160227_134431125_zpslv5gdtsf.jpg

Re: Cash's Sammy

45f76f4bac8ee182c5b8a77361abffb2.jpg

a9eefecb9aa78eb90b67d69c9fbb66a9.jpg

I lucked up and got off work a little early today. Me and the little guy took the top off the Sammy and went for a spin. We ended up at a local wheelin spot "chicken foot" and got a little dirt on the tires. Good times !

Awsome! I just saw this piper... So glad to see your still sammyin' up out that way. Cash money will have them memories forever man. As you do wth your dad. Shits rough buh. I hope (And know) your doing/handling this better than I did/do.. I'm really glad to see that blue Sammy and you and ur boy in it. That's what I wanted to see man, and I would bet anything ur doing exactly what he wanted you to do. :dblthumb:

*yall Need anythjng at all holler. If I don't answer keep hollerin man. Ya know me and my phone don't like to be around each other often. :****:

Well, it's been a while since we pittled with bluey .... randomly cash asked if we could drive it to the store so I drug it out of the barn. The drivers rear wheel bearing was screaming so I pulled the axle and fixed that.

I had some extra cubes left over got them on and cleaned up some wiring. The rockers had developed some rust so I ground down the spot welds and smoothed them down and painted them. I trimmed up the bumper tubes/brackets and painted them up.

Cash's Sammy

638f6d84a8e8b489aa029cbb9deab634.jpg

c9138b4aab094e20456702901c1a316b.jpg

ada506c7d86743c1df44994c0971b3c9.jpg

46245d2d20c9568322f87b4c19ab2f15.jpg

This morning we decided to fix the door panels and make them a little more durable. We picked up a sheet of black fiberglass 4x10 and cut out a set. He even put his little friend girl to work !