• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Dead Focus

According to the shop.

Senario was this:

Timing belt broke.

Piston hit a valve in #4.

Valve broke off.

Valve bounced around inside cylinder enought to break spark plug and crack the cylinder wall enough to cause a leak into the water jacket hence the reason there was coolant in the cylinder.

Estimate to fix car = $4,500 give or take....

Car value before this = $3,500 KBB (Wayne had it sold for this price last weekend before this happened)

Car value now? :puke:

Damn dood....that sucks. Finding a good used low mileage engine, and installing a new t-belt before putting it in (for piece of mind!:redneck:) will be far less painful/expensive than practically giving it away...

Damn dood....that sucks. Finding a good used low mileage engine, and installing a new t-belt before putting it in (for piece of mind!:redneck:) will be far less painful/expensive than practically giving it away...

Possible...

Not sure. We'll talk it over this evening. And call around to find prices on engines. He was thinking it would be fun to tinker aorund a little to see how the thing works. It's the engineer in him. If I had better, and more tools, it might be fun. Of course, it would be a great excuse to get more and better tools too... hmmmm...?

I'm thinking, heck, it's right above the scrapper.... All we have to do is give it a little push....

Interesting prospect. I think, though, the easiest way to do this is to drop the engine/tranaxle together and then lift it up, correct?

Yes, I've emailed the seller, for more details, and Wayne, to see if he's interested.

Thanks Eric.

Interesting prospect. I think, though, the easiest way to do this is to drop the engine/tranaxle together and then lift it up, correct?

Don't know for sure - never done one. On all the FWD cars I've swapped motors on (sample size: 3 :D ), I just unbolted it from the tranny and pulled it out the top. Never done a Focus though.

IF it's a DOHC 2.0L (8th vin 3)....The whole assembly (engine/trans) drops out the bottom according to Alldata...book calls for approx. 13 hrs to do a long block swap....

IF it's a SOHC 2.0L (8th vin P)....it comes out the top by itself. Same labor time....

IF it's a DOHC 2.0L (8th vin 3)....The whole assembly (engine/trans) drops out the bottom according to Alldata...book calls for approx. 13 hrs to do a long block swap....

IF it's a SOHC 2.0L (8th vin P)....it comes out the top by itself. Same labor time....

Yeah I was just looking it up. The wagon *should* have come standard with the DOHC "zetec" motor if I'm understanding correctly.

Egad, yer gonna make me go look up a VIN for this thing?

1FAHP36P1YW330636

I'm not sure that other engine is gonna work. It looks like it s DOHC engine.

Still, finding a good used complete engine might not be a bad idea. Wayne and I'll have think on it...

I'm not sure that other engine is gonna work. It looks like it s DOHC engine.

I stand corrected. :D

It will bolt in, but the engine harness is apparently different and since it's missing most of the peripherals, probably not worth the effort.

So, Wayne and I sat down last night and tried to talk this out.

We decided that yea, replacing the engine and then selling it for something would be better than selling it for scrap or having a wrecking yard come and haul it away.

So now we are on the hunt for a decent 2.0 'P' Focus engine. I have a line on two in Lk Stevens. Hopefully, they write back and let me know if they are any good...

Other than that, where would I find a long block for this car? No, 'Midnight shopping' is not an option.

So, Wayne and I sat down last night and tried to talk this out.

We decided that yea, replacing the engine and then selling it for something would be better than selling it for scrap or having a wrecking yard come and haul it away.

So now we are on the hunt for a decent 2.0 'P' Focus engine. I have a line on two in Lk Stevens. Hopefully, they write back and let me know if they are any good...

Other than that, where would I find a long block for this car? No, 'Midnight shopping' is not an option.

Midnight sho....... Oh, never mind. :D

Egad! searching eBay. the 'P' engines are all going for over $1,000! USED!

The '3' engines are cheap. We may be rethinking the fix and resell to push and crush....