• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

High mileage diesels

If you got a buddy at a chevy dealer or maybe any service manager will tell you, you can give them the vin and they can tell you what the mileage and date and how many of the injectors have been replaced. That is if it was done at a chevy dealer and not some independent shop.

Marty said:
If you got a buddy at a chevy dealer or maybe any service manager will tell you, you can give them the vin and they can tell you what the mileage and date and how many of the injectors have been replaced. That is if it was done at a chevy dealer and not some independent shop.
A friend of the family is the service manager at a local dealership so that shouldn't be hard to do. Good idea

Got an 03 Dmax with 144,000 miles just had the injectors replaced about 5,000 miles ago. Almost :puke: when I seen how much it was to replace them luckliy got the dealership to replace them for free under the GM extended warr. on these trucks. Other then that love the truck.

I've come to the conclusion that diesels ain't worth it, no more often than I tow....think I'm gonna trade my 3/4 ton gas burner in on a 07+ GM half ton and say fawk it lol

TacomaJD said:
I've come to the conclusion that diesels ain't worth it, no more often than I tow....think I'm gonna trade my 3/4 ton gas burner in on a 07+ GM half ton and say fawk it lol

If you ever make the switch to a diesel you will never go back to a gas truck!

I'm sure they're worth every dime of the extra upkeep if you tow often and need a big towing capacity, but ****...it's just hard for me to justify all that extra costs, no more than I gain in my particular towing situation. Most of the time I don't tow over a 2 hour one way drive and I don't get to wheel every weekend like alot of folks do, so I think I'll be straight with a half ton for awhile. If I go to a diesel one day, I want it to have low miles so I'll have to do as little upkeep on it as possible...and right now one with low miles just ain't in my budget. (under $20k) Actually I'd take $18k for my 06 2500HD 6.0L and don't want to spend any extra, so really under $18k is my budget.

FWIW I bought my 2000 F250 with 75,000 miles on it. Currently sitting a 206,000 with just a water pump, 1 injector, and a front axle rebuild. I am up and down everyday as whether to keep running it or sell it. They main reason I want to sell is that I don't have a need for the diesel since I sold my rig and the gooseneck I used to haul it on.

NOVI FED COUPE said:
If you ever make the switch to a diesel you will never go back to a gas truck!
I drive my dads and brothers all the time so when I hook up with my half ton im disappointed.

my work van is a 99 E350 Ford with the 7.3 International. Right now it has 347,000 miles on it. Since I've had it(300,000), I've put an injector driver module on it, an IPR sensor, dropped the fuel tank, got rid of the recirculating fuel pick up, added an external racor filter(fuel tank liners come apart on the Fords), new lift pump, new alternator and on my second starter. I drive it every day, loaded with my tools it crosses the scaled at 8500 lbs and gets 15 mpg with me driving it like an idiot. I'm not a Ford fan, but the 7.3(444E) international diesel was the best thing Ford ever did. It needs a set of injectors($250 each) injector harness' and might as well put glow plugs and harness' on while I have the valve covers off. I just keep putting it off. I probably won't find another 7.3 van, i don't even want to consider a 6.0. GM started using the D-max in their vans in 06(used the 6.5's up until 04 in vans), so I'll probably replace it with a D-max when the time comes. I've been looking at trucks my self, clean 7.3 Fords are pulling more money than the 6.0L even though the 7.3's are older. I tried to talk myself into a 6.5(great mileage, no power) with the idea of repowering it with a 12 valve(great power, great mileage) once it blows, but I really don't have the time to do it. If I run across a deal on a 7.3, I would jump on it if I had the cash, or if I find a 6.5 cheap enough(it will have to be cheap)

Latest posts