• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jimmy Smith "STOP LOSS" buggy build

Is the transmission hard mounted like the engine? I know Jimmy usually hardmounts the engine and puts the trans/transfer case solid to crossmember that has bushings on the end instead of being "truly" hard mounted..Are you going to be running a ATLAS tail support to?

badreligion_13 said:
Is the transmission hard mounted like the engine? I know Jimmy usually hardmounts the engine and puts the trans/transfer case solid to crossmember that has bushings on the end instead of being "truly" hard mounted..Are you going to be running a ATLAS tail support to?

I spoke with the guys with AA at KOH. They told me that the atlas will fail easier if it is mounted and the transmission is mounted. They told me the majority of case failures were due to hard mounting both the trans and the case. The case has to flex slightly according to them. The tranny is hard mounted like the engine as well...

i was just picking at you, if you could rig it up for a onboard air setup i would do that cause if you are like me i am always cutting my tires and having to air them back up

COLT said:
I spoke with the guys with AA at KOH. They told me that the atlas will fail easier if it is mounted and the transmission is mounted. They told me the majority of case failures were due to hard mounting both the trans and the case. The case has to flex slightly according to them. The tranny is hard mounted like the engine as well...

..If the case flexs and the trans and engine are hard mounted something is going to give..I would suspect it wont be the ATLAS;but, probably the transmission case..AA says the tail support that many people run will damage the bearings in the tail. At least that is what I have been told. I am interested to see how this holds up.. I know Standifer's engine, and transmission were hard mounted in his buggy. The ATLAS broke the transmission tail housing off on the first or second ride.

badreligion_13 said:
..If the case flexs and the trans and engine are hard mounted something is going to give..I would suspect it wont be the ATLAS;but, probably the transmission case..AA says the tail support that many people run will damage the bearings in the tail. At least that is what I have been told. I am interested to see how this holds up.. I know Standifer's engine, and transmission were hard mounted in his buggy. The ATLAS broke the transmission tail housing off on the first or second ride.
I was told to use the original trans mount,was his tranny usingthe same or did he build a mount off of the atlas adapter?

COLT said:
I was told to use the original trans mount,was his tranny usingthe same or did he build a mount off of the atlas adapter?

When you say trans mount, you mean the adapter mount correct? I don't know the answer to your question;just going on what Jimmy told me. I would assume it was hardmounted via the adapter as normal...
I have always used and been told that you mount the engine and trans the same. If engine solid, then trans solid. If poly bushing at engine same for trans/transfer case. But, you don't mix.. My only concern with hard mounting the trans in a J.Smith buggy, is if you hit hard on the belly or there is chassis twist, which might surprise you that there is, the trans housing is going to take the brunt which could mean a busted case..Does that make sense? I know Jimmy frequently has in the past mounted the trans/transfer solid to a crossmember that has bushings at the ends where it attaches to the outside rails of the chassis. This sort scares me to because of the mix and match of solid engine and poly bushing crossmember
In your pictures your ATLAS appears hardmounted using the ATLAS adapter to one of the bars running in the belly..Correct?

Correct.....the atlas is hard mounted using the adapter. Sorry for all the confusion, I've driven 3500 miles on the last 5 days... I am a little out of it to say the least ??? I like to hard mount everything. No bushings anywhere. :dblthumb:

why hard mount the three most expensive parts, everthing flexes when you rock crawl, unless you like changing tranny housing.

big ford said:
why hard mount the three most expensive parts, everthing flexes when you rock crawl, unless you like changing tranny housing.

Everything in my buggy is hard mounted, all the coleworx buggies are hard mounted, pretty sure all of woodlees are also hard mounted.
I think thats enough proof that it will hold up fine.

Cole said:
Everything in my buggy is hard mounted, all the coleworx buggies are hard mounted, pretty sure all of woodlees are also hard mounted.
I think thats enough proof that it will hold up fine.
Doesnt Adam use a midplate as well as Bryan? Is your buggy, Cole, have a midplate or is it straight hard mounted at engine and the trans/transfer case adapter with no additional support?

badreligion_13 said:
Doesnt Adam use a midplate as well as Bryan? Is your buggy, Cole, have a midplate or is it straight hard mounted at engine and the trans/transfer case adapter with no additional support?

Even if it has a mid plate it is still hard mounted.

Mine doesn't have a mid plate.
It has this on the left rear of the block, other than this it is just hard mounted like a normal buggy with bushings.
e0e58b3b.jpg

1b4a5b55.jpg

my buggy is all hard mounted but my last one was on bushings and i broke the transmission in half

Cole said:
Even if it has a mid plate it is still hard mounted.

Mine doesn't have a mid plate.
It has this on the left rear of the block, other than this it is just hard mounted like a normal buggy with bushings.
e0e58b3b.jpg

1b4a5b55.jpg

Little hard to piece that picture together..But, that basically looks like it "serves" as 1/2 of a mid plate that ties the left side of the engine to the chassis. Correct?

badreligion_13 said:
Little hard to piece that picture together..But, that basically looks like it "serves" as 1/2 of a mid plate that ties the left side of the engine to the chassis. Correct?

yeah the pictures suck, its hard to take a picture of.

Hard mounting is really the norm these days, I wish my drivetrain was hard mounted. Both ways work, just don't mix hard and soft mounts