• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jimmy Smith "STOP LOSS" buggy build

COLT

I'm on a boat.
Just to introduce myself my name is Colt Nowlin. I have been wheelin all my life and have really gotten serious in the last 5 years. I have built a few beater rigs and then last year I built a Truggy..I am now ready for a buggy. I wanna go fast so bad it hurts! Today I sent my deposit in on a New Jimmy Smith Chassis. As for the name of the build "STOP LOSS" I will just put it out there..I was in the Army and served in Iraq for 2 years. My unit crossed the birm in the Spring of 03 during the invasion. It was not a fun experience... I did a year to the day in Iraq the first time and when we returned to Germany I had 9 months left in the military. I had big plans of opening a business when I returned home. When I was 3 months away from getting out of the Army I was involuntarily extended "STOP LOSSED" for 18 months and sent back to Iraq for the second year. I'm not going to lie....I was pissed; and with that being said would not trade anything for the military service that I gave to my country.. I enjoyed my time abroad (except when being shot at) and I finally got to come home. I learned there is a reason for everything that happens to us, and there was a reason I went a second time....With that being said the federal government was supposed to pay us a subsidised amount over our normal salary's and that didn't happen. They are re-cooping the funds and a portion will be for my new Chassis.. I told my wife about this and she said "we are ordering your Chassis" She wanted me to have a good time with the money I fought for.. I have a great wife :fish:

Now for a few questions to please point me in the right direction...

1. 14" or 16" coilovers??
2. Does anyone know what spring setup i should run that works the best?
3. pros and cons on a balanced ram or a single ram(I already own a balanced ram)
4. coolant through the tube work or hoses?

I am sure I will have many more questions, and i am also sure after talking with Jimmy today he would be more than happy to answer them, I just know he is slammed right now and I can ask him before I purchase anything..I just want to get all of the input that I can get before I order anything, and who knows somebody may have a few parts I will need.

I will be using a BBC 454 on fuel injection as well as a TH400 and a 3.8 atlas. 60 front and a 14 bolt rear non steering axle out of my truggy I have now.

Thanks everybody!

COLT thumb.gif

Thanks for the Service

I would run the coolant through the frame rails. I have mine done that way and I really like it. Makes packaging easier.
Since you already have the double ended Ram I would run it. Only reason I could see to change it is for packaging purposes.

Thanks for the service...onto your questions
1) Jimmy could probably best answer this during building of your chassis . It will simply boil down to how much travel you want and what fits.
2) Once again jimmy would be best one to ask what springs he usually puts on his buggies. Otherwise, it is kinda trying to guess someones age or weight...
3) Doubled ended ram can be more challenging to fit at times. Also, sometimes it requires more "metal" to fab the support and protection. This equals more weight. However, nothing wrong in my eyes in using it,particulary if you already have it.
Single ended ram is often easier to mount, and takes less material to mount. However, if you are going to run a single ended ram at least buy a good one like PSC or Howe. Don't run an ag cylinder unless you are trying to save money. The ag cylinder works and works good. But, the other cylinders are a step above and you can feel the difference when using in a rear steer application...Simply upto you.
4) I had Jimmy run tubing for my coolant lines. I believe Jimmy prefers this;but, can run it through the chassis...I don't like running it through the chassis myself.
The best thing is bounce your ideas off Jimmy and see what he says. He will take care of you. I can promise you that. In my twenty years of being in this hobby, I can count on one hand the number of people that do business the right way and make sure the "customer" is satisified. Jimmy Smith is one of thos people.
brian

Thx for the info guys I look forward to a lot more input. I spoke to Jimmy he said he was a fan of 16" coilovers. Now I just have to figure out the springs. One more question... Does a single ram react faster than a double. It seems from what I have seen they do. Just wondering.

Cool build and name for a project. I would say run whatever travel you have room for, both options are fine. As far as spring rates don't worry about em until you get your rig done and get some corner weights. To get started ask Jimmy what he usually runs or recomends based on the weight of similar chassis. Then get your springs from a good vendor that has a swap program, so you can swap them out for free once you start dialing it in. I use EOR in TN, and they use Blue Coil springs which are cheap and good IMO.

I have my coolant run through the chassis, mine has isolated tubes on each side for that very purpose. It looks way cleaner than rubber hoses all over the place.

A SE ram reacts faster one way, but not both. I would run a double if you have it and can fit it.

Matt O. said:
Cool build and name for a project. I would say run whatever travel you have room for, both options are fine. As far as spring rates don't worry about em until you get your rig done and get some corner weights. You can get a good basis from that and go from there. I have my coolant run through the chassis, mine has isolated tubes on each side for that very purpose. It looks way cleaner than rubber hoses all over the place...

Thanks Matt, def going to run the tubes for the coolant, My truggy has rubber lines, and besides being very expensive to run good rubber they are a headache to take care of because they expand and contract and constantly shift under pressure..

COLT said:
Thanks Matt, def going to run the tubes for the coolant, My truggy has rubber lines, and besides being very expensive to run good rubber they are a headache to take care of because they expand and contract and constantly shift under pressure..

The other benefit of hard lines is that they absorb heat and it runs cooler. Mine has never been over 200, even on dyno pulls. I will try and get a picture of main, the coolant tubes are by the main frame rails, but to get to those tubes to tap into em Jimmy at EOR made more hardlines. It is a pretty slick setup IMO

Thanks for your service firs off,
I have built a Smith buggy and I know what I would do different.

Coolant def. needs to be in the frame rails,
16 in coilover with res. imo
bumps on all 4 corners
I have had double and single rams, double def. seems to be best overall, but my steering was faster with a single.
Make dang sure you run 1 1/4 heims on all links (aluminum) or something equal to them, and c what the diff. in price to box the tabs in would b.
Kirkey's are ver comfortable and safe feeling, but they do hurt when you test em. Buggy will look better with em, but I think you should put in some suspension seats.( ur wife will preciate it)
Thermostatic switch for your fans, with manual override, and remote cooler and fan for he trans( trust me on this)
Make your skid pan area wide enuff to get the trans out the bottom if you can, that will also help you on the room for exhaust if you run it instead of open headers.
Do you lower frame rails, shock hoops, and A pillar in something thicker that 120. wall.
Hope that helps. Good luck, you will enjoy this buggy. Jimmy will do you a good job.

Great info hotrod! Thanks for the pointers and keep em coming! I am glad I asked after all the input I have received.

Thanks for your service from me as well...I love the name and what the buggy will stand for...im sure when you run it you will excited and proud as you should be...post pics of ur progress!

One last look at the truggy before it gets taken apart and it goes to its' new home! I was lucky and had it sold to one of my good friends here in Pensacola Fl.

[attachment deleted by admin]

thats a sweet truggy! Did you buy that from a guy named Bill or from the owner after him? I have watched that thing evolve from a stock ZR2 to its current state (well, before you got it.)

Yeah BiLl Usher built it. A fella had the chassis after him but never did anything with it. I rebuilt it after that. Bill Usher builds a bad ass truggy IMO.

And to Gizmo, it is tempting to start today with this 65• Weather.