• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Maxxis 42" Comp Trepador coming

dynajeep said:
Just wrote a little review on books of faces...

I have an unbiased opinion.

When racing I run 12psi in the sx's, I've never smashed a rim running this air pressure. The sx's hook better in dirt/mud than the treps by far.

Running Treps last weekend racing I was at 12psi. I found myself slowing way down for rocks and still smashing the rims pretty good. (Need more psi) I have just under 700hp and on the dirt the treps lack grip when compared to the SX's. The buggy felt like it was on a snow covered road, it was controllable and predictable but they definitely lacked grip. To some this may be a good thing but I find them well behind the sx in the dirt.

I was however really impressed with the Treps on rocks. I crawled some things last weekend that no one has ever crawled. Once they were heated up (trying to break them in) they made stuff boring, like it was too easy, not even spinning a tire.

Overall if I were in the market for a set of new stickies the sx's would be on my rig hands down. They are hard to beat, super tough, great on dirt, great in mud, great on the rocks.

I've heard this a lot lately,, had a buddy call to order some ( don't want to say where, they sell interco also) and they told him if he was running SXS that he wouldn't be happy. And the side walls were thin........ we'll see.

07gmc said:
I've got a nasty cut at about the same place on sidewall , u can see the cords but not leaking

That's enough for me.....you're a sensible wheeler so I know if you got a "graze" on a tire, I would have it ripped off the rim and turned inside out.

I'll stick to the old tried and true SX versions(sticky or non). I'll take not making a climb vs not riding the rest of the day.

tonybolton said:
I'll take not making a climb vs not riding the rest of the day.

VERY important piece to this puzzle...I'm about to put money on 5 new stickies...Treps are on the invoice...may have to swap at the last minute...

I was leaning toward the treps. Now I may have to rethink. I cut a sidewall on one of my 44tsl's Saturday. I noticed the sidewalls weren't as thick as my old 42's.

pholmann said:
I was leaning toward the treps. Now I may have to rethink. I cut a sidewall on one of my 44tsl's Saturday. I noticed the sidewalls weren't as thick as my old 42's.

The way you drive hell no on the treps!

poolman said:
I've heard this a lot lately,, had a buddy call to order some ( don't want to say where, they sell interco also) and they told him if he was running SXS that he wouldn't be happy. And the side walls were thin........ we'll see.

Let me guess....... Goforth.

redneckengineered said:
Are the sidewalls different from the 37s?

I think with as little of a weight difference as there is in weight between the 42 and the much smaller 40, you'd have to have thinner sidewalls or something :dunno:

muddinmetal said:
I think with as little of a weight difference as there is in weight between the 42 and the much smaller 40, you'd have to have thinner sidewalls or something :dunno:

You have got to be right

dynajeep said:
42's are a C range tires, the 40's are D. Don't know much about tires but this is what I got out of putting the 2 side by side

Surely that has to do with there being more sidewall thus less of a load it can carry. If they are as tough as the 40 Trep that would be enough for me even if they're not an SX. And when I said 37s earlier I meant the 40s.

Damn AJ that looks pretty similar to my 40 that failed, but worse. Guess your boy is getting a Trep tire swing too! :dblthumb:

I'm not a bouncer and I only have V6 power but so far the 42s are working awesome. They have taken some hard sidewall hits at 8psi but my buggy is only 3500lbs so lighter than most of yalls on here. For me they great so they might be more suited to a little slower driving on a lighter rig rather than a high horsepower heavy rig.

Stuntman Autoworks said:
I'm not a bouncer and I only have V6 power but so far the 42s are working awesome. They have taken some hard sidewall hits at 8psi but my buggy is only 3500lbs so lighter than most of yalls on here. For me they great so they might be more suited to a little slower driving on a lighter rig rather than a high horsepower heavy rig.

Agreed. It looks like they might be more suited for typical trail riding and rock crawling than racing.

As far as the C load rating, I shot Maxxis an email and they did reply that the 42 was only being made in a "C". I'm assuming they designed them this way because a 42 C would have about the same load carrying capacity as their 40 D. I couldn't find any specs posted on load carrying capacity and what not but for example BFG's 40" C is rated at 3195lbs and their 42 BFG C is rated at 3640lbs.

tallnate said:
Agreed. It looks like they might be more suited for typical trail riding and rock crawling than racing.

As far as the C load rating, I shot Maxxis an email and they did reply that the 42 was only being made in a "C". I'm assuming they designed them this way because a 42 C would have about the same load carrying capacity as their 40 D. I couldn't find any specs posted on load carrying capacity and what not but for example BFG's 40" C is rated at 3195lbs and their 42 BFG C is rated at 3640lbs.

I'm out then. I need F load rating minimum to roll coal in my bro dozer.