• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need help......Opinions......comments on fuel injection which one and why

Dillehay

I need some help from the smart ones thumb.gif

Here are the questions: What fuel injection to buy? Why did you buy it? Where is the best place/best price to buy? Who offers the best post support?

Here is what the FI will be installed on

SBC 11:1 pistons, 383 stroker, full roller, RHS aluminum heads, 1.75" headers, 3" exhaust from collector out.

Currently running a two four barrel intake with two Impco 425 propane mixers and regulators

Motor was professionally built by reputable builder located in Nashville Tn.

It runs good, not sure of the HP output. but want to change to good old fashion gas. Tired of the propane fill up issue and possible loss of power associated with propane.

Holley, Big Stuff etc. Opinions please.

I have the same setup but have a fuel injection from affordable fuel injection. It's awesome. And unlike the other kits it takes factory gm parts so if something goes bad in the field any dealer will have replacement parts.

skipnrocks said:
I have the same setup but have a fuel injection from affordable fuel injection. It's awesome. And unlike the other kits it takes factory gm parts so if something goes bad in the field any dealer will have replacement parts.

from what I understand, most newer kits use factory GM parts (sensors), because they are readily available, cheap, and reliable

TBItoy said:
are you looking at MPFI or a throttle body setup?

Not sure? which is better?

I'm guessing cost being one of the issues. Probably will spend 1800 to 2500 for full set up, which should include in-tank fuel pump.

I'm also running a sbc 383, 14.5:1 compression, all the goodies inside as well and have the Big Stuff III on it. Just had it tuned at a very reputable speed shop who did not have the program but went online and got it and they said it was by far the easiest to tune, hands down... Good enough for me. :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
I'm also running a sbc 383, 14.5:1 compression, all the goodies inside as well and have the Big Stuff III on it. Just had it tuned at a very reputable speed shop who did not have the program but went online and got it and they said it was by far the easiest to tune, hands down... Good enough for me. :dblthumb:

question about the Big Stuff 3:

from what I see on their website, it looks like they just sell the ecm and wiring harness?

So you have to purchase the intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, and a throttle body separately to fit your application?

TBItoy said:
question about the Big Stuff 3:

from what I see on their website, it looks like they just sell the ecm and wiring harness?

So you have to purchase the intake manifold, injectors, fuel rails, and a throttle body separately to fit your application?

Correct, Mass Flo TBI, Edelbrock intake with Big Stuff III computer. At least that is what is on mine. Daryl with the Superman buggy just changed his over recently as well. Great throttle response for sure.

I'm running stock vortec stuff with a standalone harness now but if I went over 450 horses I would go something like this. You order them by your horsepower range and they learn themselves. No dyno tune required. The dyno would squeeze every ounce of power but this seems like it would be way more reliable and have better driveability which is more important to me.

I've been wanting to swap to EFI also. Unless you have a wad of cash in motor build, better off to find a 6.0 swap in hot cam, tune, and let her rip. Be money ahead and more power. Aftermarket FI is high unless you can find a used system. Then you take a chance on it working or missing parts.

I bought the Holley HP system from Sumitt Racing Equipment. What ever you do, do not buy from a mass distributor. Pay a little more for it from a seller that also installs and offers support for that product. I had a ton of questions and waited on Holley's tech line for at least an hour every time I called them. Their on line tech is great but there will be things you will need to ask about your specific application. I like the Holley unit, they say it is plug and play, the install is very simple but the tune requires EFI knowledge. My base cal. is so far off I haven't be able to get it into self learn yet. RTR

Ok I have a little different set up and looking to go efi. What would you guys suggest for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.
End goal will be 600-700hp. right now I am leaning out with the one impco 425 and think the motor is around 500hp. Have a 1970 caddy 500 cid that came with the buggy and not sure what all was done to it other than a cam. Was looking at 2 impco 425s but just tired of propane. Most of the kits limit out at 500-600hp and I have heard some bad reviews here on the fast system that's rates for more. I have been looking at the atomic msd but I do not Like that it says max hp is in the 550 range depending on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Holley system but all the aftermarket computers will support 1000's of HP, the limits happen in the TB's and injectors and of course head and cam combinations. True EFI, non throttle body, is expandable by changing injectors and throttle bodies as air/ fuel requirements grow. The FAST intake is a very good unit and will require a big investment up front and is the reason people choose the Atomic route in most cases. RTR

I am just looking at throttle body kits at this time. Not sure what other options I have with the odd motor. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a good bit of experience with the holley system. Running holley HP ecm with fast dual sync distributor and edelbrock efi intake for sequential MPFI on a 540" BBC. I'm not a typist but you can pm me a number and I'd be happy to talk to you about it.

greenlion said:
I have a good bit of experience with the holley system. Running holley HP ecm with fast dual sync distributor and edelbrock efi intake for sequential MPFI on a 540" BBC. I'm not a typist but you can pm me a number and I'd be happy to talk to you about it.

Thanks.......this probably will happen after the first of the year. So far thinking the Holley, may be the way!