• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Never ending Samurai build...

I'd been trying to use the wastegate adjustment to get a little more boost but obviously that's not the right way and depending on how far you go you can actually cause problems since the wastegate won't be able to open completely. The stock setup is made for 3-5psi...and I want to be closer to 7 without the wastegate being wife open. So today I built a manual boost controller...sounds fancy right? Here's what I came up with...

IMAG4831_zpsjc28eheb.jpg

It's the diy version of the store bought versions. I used a 1/8" tee, tapped one end for 3/8-24 bolt threads and then picked up a ball bearing and spring. The idea is the bolt will apply pressure to the spring which will hold the ball bearing against the IN port. This will block pressure from the wastegate actuator until the boost level is able to move the ball. Simple enough...true Samurai fashion.

IMAG4832_zpss5gmthvs.jpg

Ryan, what is that turbo off of? I'm wanting to start collecting parts to put a turbo on my buggy and wanting a small turbo that will spool quickly.

Its off of a 2003 VW Passat 1.8t. You want the one from the Passat because its a longitudinally mounted motor and makes hooking things up easier. It builds 2-3psi before 2k rpm...after that i dunno...need a tach.

Well the first outing with the turbo went well. The added power comes in pretty quick and isn't too much either. I'm still tweaking the boost controller setup. Right now the wastegate starts opening gradually just a little too soon. I'd like to hit 4psi before it starts bleeding off. So that's what I'll be looking into this week.

Another area of concern is the cooling system. The stock radiator may have outlived its welcome. Prior to the turbo it had no problem staying cool with the fan not having to run except when I had to work on an obstacle for an extended period. We'll see what I can come up with.

Videos to come...

I think my version of the boost controller might be flawed. The spring seems to get caught on the threads inside the Tee. Not sure if that's has any affect on it during operation but its just something I noticed while working on it. I REALLY need to build a setup to be able to apply low pressures to different parts. Finding a decent gauge that reads 1-10psi that doesn't cost much might be difficult...unless I get lucky and find a low pressure tire gauge that has 1/8" npt threads...not to mention a regulator that goes that low reliably. Would a needle valve accomplish the same thing?

I need this not only to test the controller, but I also need to setup a MAP clamp to keep the MAP sensor from seeing boost and in order to do that I need to apply pressure to it until I see the cutout voltage.

Any ideas how to setup a cheap regulator/gauge?

Got out to the shop today and got around to installing a bypass valve that will serve as a poor mans blow off...remember this is a Samurai after all. Nevermind i installed it backwards...lol

IMAG4865_zps6yay1af8.jpg

IMAG4866_zpszbsbedgd.jpg

Finished building the front driveshaft tonight. I used 1.5" sch 40 tubing that fits the female slip joints pretty well and is right at 2" OD. It clears the trans pan...which is what I was looking for.

IMG_20150218_175746277_HDR_zpsb7kokhqm.jpg

This allowed me to install the new (used) trans pan using the Right Stuff gasket maker and put new fluid in it. I'd also drilled a hole in the pan and used a 1/2-20 drain plug and nut since it didn't have one from the factory...which was really inconvenient. It was nice yo fire it up again and test out the bypass/blow off valve which works like a charm.

Spent the weekend going over the rig getting ready for the Gray Rock ride this weekend. I wasnt liking the increased noise level of the fuel pump...which was less than a year old so i took it back and got a new one. Also swapped out new pre and post filters while i was at it to be sure.

IMG_20150221_124120350_zps9mod1yrj.jpg

Shes running like a top...and ready for a beating.

First time Ive read this thing all the way threw been a long journey to get where u are. Alot of not leaving ur shop till 8 am lol right is amazing I try to talk him out of it everytime I see him. dangthing flat out works I've seen it out crawl 30,000 Dollor rig easy. Owners a Lil of sick :flipgotcha: lol JK Ryan a great guy. Can't wait till well u no

Had a great time at Gray Rock with the Hardline crew. I think we made it around to most of the trails we'd heard about. I kept dealing with running a little warmer than I'd like...motor and trans. It was really only an issue on obstacles like Tub Rock or Snot Rock where I had to keep hitting it. I generally try to stick to more technical/slow trails...as opposed to the full throttle assault type of hills. I have to say that Tub Rock was a lot of fun or us though because we just don't see that type of obstacle around here in SC.

Ryan climbing tub rock

I was getting pissed off that I'd had to beat on the rig so hard before it finally went up since I'd been up it on Friday as well. Then my passenger looked over and said your right front isn't pulling. I looked out my side and saw essentially the same thing going on with the left front. We both immediately looked at the dash and realized the front ARB hadn't been engaged... :woot:

Ryan climbs tub rock in 3wd...

Had to back down to try it again with all tires pulling...

Ryan climbs tub rock saturday night

Then Sunday morning we left Fultondale and headed to Chooccolocco to meet up with one of our buddies. We didn't want to be 7 hours from home and not make the most of it :driving: He showed us around to most of the big name trails as quickly as we could. Boat Ramp was no joke...and wasn't having any of it so we kept moving. Hells Revenge was sweet...and climbing up to the big ledge on WFO was fun too. TeePee was another one I enjoyed. There were several others we ran, but I can't recall names...or if there were any posted on them. I guess that'll change after the sign making weekend thumb.gif