• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Never ending Samurai build...

How did you like the turbo in all the recent riding, any issues? And great vids looked like you had a great time thumb.gif

The turbo really does wake it up. The easiest way to describe it is this...before the turbo I had to rely on low range and with the auto trans I had to back up far enough to give it enough time to make the shifts from 1-3 if I needed wheel speed. Now, with the turbo as you saw in the videos above I can put it in high range and lock the transmission in 1st gear and stab it. I've definitely got some tuning left to do though. I believe I need to back off a bit on the boost level I was running...around 9psi max. I had intended on running 7 max but I noticed several times at Gray Rock that the gauge would be bouncing off of 9 at WOT. If you listen closely in the videos you'll hear a rattling noise when I got into it. I believe this was either valve chatter or detonation...or a mix of both. Either way it tells me I need to back off. The AFR's were staying within the desired range so it was all just a byproduct of the excess heat buildup as far as I can tell. I never overheated the motor, but it did creep up on me a few times after hammering on it for a while.

Side note...it does great donuts in 2wd now!

So just another reason this thread title makes sense...I'm easily distracted...

IMG_20150503_225113_zpsmgnvta1t.jpg

IMG_20150513_190840412_HDR_zpsdb4hlj4y.jpg

IMG_20150515_075615344_zpsz3yhsxcl.jpg

So I'd decided to rebuild the turbo. It was more or less just to have a better understanding of how it works and to make sure it was in good shape for a while. The rebuild kit came in today so I went out to put it in this evening.

I'd already taken it apart so it was going to be an easy job...and it was. Got it all back together and fired it up and it instantly had a leak from the oil feed line so I shut it off and grabbed a wrench. Thought I musta forgotten to snug it up so I checked it and it broke off...****!!!!!!!!!!!!

So now I have to tear it all back down and hope I can get the broken part out without screwing up the center housing. Gotta love doing things twice...

IMG_20150830_120351849_zpscanilam5.jpg

IMG_20150902_165344786_HDR_zpsflay7oxi_edit_1441242497261_zpsxskejwgz.jpg

IMG_20150902_205545047_zpsluaoz5tr.jpg

IMG_20150902_205631911_zpstqhodmey.jpg

Well here we are.. 4 or so years ago I build a 1000 dollar mini crawler by reading some good tech info.. And now... A money pit Sammy! Hahah. Nice work Ryan. Just look at the bright side.. Ya could be doin stuff 3 or 4 times like myself. Haha. Glad this thread came back up... Now I can catch up and keep up with it... Keep on keepin on bud.

clemsonjeep said:
Spent the weekend going over the rig getting ready for the Gray Rock ride this weekend. I wasnt liking the increased noise level of the fuel pump...which was less than a year old so i took it back and got a new one. Also swapped out new pre and post filters while i was at it to be sure.

IMG_20150221_124120350_zps9mod1yrj.jpg

Shes running like a top...and ready for a beating.

What's this pump out of originally?

A ford truck. If you go to Advance and ask for an E2000 pump that'll be it. Don't forget the 20-30% off discount. It also has their lifetime warranty. I had one start making noise and they replaced it.

Re: Re: Never ending Samurai build...

clemsonjeep said:
The clear one is just a spectre brand filter from advance auto. The canister filter is a driveworks brand #65455 from advance auto as well.
Is the canister pressure rated I guess?

It's for an EFI vehicle originally. Looking up the parts for an 89 F150 with the 5.0 both the E2000 pump and 65455 filter are for the same vehicle.