• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Suzi Q Samurai buggy build

Re: Sami build (slamurai)

heres a few pics from riding at The Flats this weekend, broke rear driveshaft almost twisted the front driveshaft in half and popped one tire off the bead. I had extra driveshafts and we were able to blow the tire back on the bead and keep wheeling. It still likes to lean to the right when I turn left so I have more shock tuning to do and I need to invest in some heavy duty driveshafts but so far I'm happy with how shes doing.

It was great seeing this rig in person...and seeing it work. I can't remember where you said you live...but just a heads up that Gulches is having their annual Memorial Day ride in May the weekend of the 23-26. Myself and a few buddies will probably be there on the 24th for the day.

clemsonjeep said:
It was great seeing this rig in person...and seeing it work. I can't remember where you said you live...but just a heads up that Gulches is having their annual Memorial Day ride in May the weekend of the 23-26. Myself and a few buddies will probably be there on the 24th for the day.

I'm going to see about making it to that, gulches is a 4hr ride from the house so we will probably camp again like at the flats.

Well Its time for an update, we went to Harlan early sept and had an awesome time i can't wait to go back. I didn't break anything on Suzi and my wife rode with me the whole time so that made it an even better trip. Heres a few pictures. Before we went I also put on a rear sump oil pan, synthetic winch line and i grooved and ran the IROKS in reverse they worked really well.

Thanks man yeah everything seems to be working great I stil need to do some shock tuning but its pretty close as is.

Suzi is also getting some upgrades, ditching the yota axles and going to Dana 60s front and rear. We got the front stripped down and cleaned up and we put it in place to see what brackets I need and how its all going to lay out.

First a big pile of parts from tearing the axle down.

Then some pics of sizing it up under the samurai.

sleepsontoilet said:
Nice, what gears are you gonna run? Tires?

I'm going to run 5.38's and the same tires 39.5x13.50 16 IROKS, I tried selling the tires to go to a 42 but nobody wanted to give any real money for mine so I will get a set of 16" 8 lug steelies and run mine till they are bald.

Stuntman Autoworks said:
I'm going to run 5.38's and the same tires 39.5x13.50 16 IROKS, I tried selling the tires to go to a 42 but nobody wanted to give any real money for mine so I will get a set of 16" 8 lug steelies and run mine till they are bald.

I forgot you aren't running a baby motor :D

I've gotten some work done but still not finished. The rear is done and under the buggy, I picked it up just the way you see it with gears, spool, yukon chromo axles, disc brakes, and trussed with all the brackets and tabs. I literally picked this axle up changed the upper link mounts painted it and stuck it under the rear with the same links and shock placement as the yota axle. The front I started with a square tube design for the truss and after a test fit I found it was taking up too much room and causing probems getting the up travel I wanted so I redesigned and came back with a different approach. The front isn't completely done I have a brace to add to one side and still need to get the shock mounts, limit strap mounts and bump pads put on but I had to order some parts.

This is one of the nicest sami builds i've ever seen. Your work and welds are beautiful! Looking forward to seeing it in person. Just out of curiosity, if it was working well with the yota axles and you weren't breaking, why go tons & add the extra weight?

Pock said:
Just out of curiosity, if it was working well with the yota axles and you weren't breaking, why go tons & add the extra weight?

The rig really did work pretty well before so I asked the same question. His response was that after the trip to Harlan he realized he was holding back for fear of breaking the yotas. He didnt want to worry about that anymore...so tons it is...

Latest posts